How do I keep sufficient tension on the spool on the line? How do I replace the string in a double wire weed eater that doesn't wind strings because they fold in half then go through two holes? The line should then be wound tightly and evenly around the spool in the direction of the arrow (pull the line tight to tension it as you are doing so). I never had a gas trimmer outclass my greenworks 21142 at all. Question: Why does the nylon line get longer when using a string trimmer? If it runs, allow it to continue running for about 10 seconds and then turn off the choke. Try to angle the trimmer so the guard gives you best protection, Cutting with the tip of the line to avoid breaking it. Finally, line up the retainer with the slot on the outside of the head and reattach your retaining cap. Best web pages I have seen showing so much detail, of tremendous help to me. View and Download Ryobi RY40001 operator's manual online. Lower powered electric trimmers are normally used with fairly light gage line, about 1.5 mm / 0.06 inch (about 1/16 inch). If the spring has lost its flex or the spool isn’t wound properly, the string will stop feeding out properly. Answer: Yes, you can cut any height of grass. What do I do if I can't remove the spool on my weed eater trimmer? Long grass may tend to tangle in the head so cut a bit a little at a time by moving the tip of the line slowly into the grass. Bought a couple screws from the local hardware store for a few cents, installed them, and I don't dread doing yard work anymore! how to-load-a-ryobi-reel-easy-string-head The REEL EASY string trimmer head allows you to simply feed the line through the head and then twist it to wrap the string. 1:40 or 1:30 is probably a good compromise. You just need to listen to the sound of the machine and when the line slows down, back off out of the grass, The line often breaks when trimming around pavements, kerbs, pots etc, This is because it tends to slap against the hard surface instead of soft growth and this can shear or abrade it rapidly. Adjust the distance of the head from the ground so that the full extent of the line isn't rubbing off the ground surface either. Some of the most reviewed RYOBI string trimmers are the RYOBI ONE+ 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Electric Cordless String Trimmer and Edger - 1.3 Ah Battery and Charger Included with 8,435 reviews and the RYOBI 40-Volt X Lithium-Ion Expand-It Kit with String Trimmer/Edger/Pole Saw/Blower, 4.0 Ah Battery and Charger Included with 7,436 reviews. How to Wind the Twine in a Ryobi Trimmer. If there is a hole between the two halves that is close to the center, you can cut a 25ft length of line, thread it through one of the holes so that one end is about 6in longer than the other, and then wind up both ends of the line simultaneously (e.g.,, Jonsered and Husqvarna string trimmers). In other words it is less likely to stick as it unwinds from the spool. Ryobi’s 132R Trimmer Plus electric grass and weed trimmer utilizes nylon monofilament line to cut vegetation. Thank you - you published it at the right time - when I'm looking for my trimmer in an overcrowded shed. In this case, the trimmer is first used in the normal horizontal mode to taper the grass level to the edge of the bed, which looks better. You shouldn't allow all the line to come in contact with grass as this will tend to slow it down causing it to lose momentum and it won't do a good job of cutting, When cutting around thick vegetation, it's vital to slowly move the line into the material being cut, otherwise it'll become tangled or break. This article provides step-by-step instructions for removing and installing the starter rope on a Ryobi trimmer. The slider springs are is part of the trimmer's internal bump-feed mechanism. It can only start but cannot cut. If the cutting attachment head on your trimmer has been damaged or is badly worn from use, you should remove it from the unit and acquire a replacement. Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on February 16, 2019: Thanks Geraldine. The string trimmer I use keeps having problems. It's time to face the fix. I have a Ryobi trimmer but the silly string is stuck! Conventional string trimmer trimmer heads are time consuming and a pain to reload. These cutting heads are suitable for cutting brush growth, i.e. Many trimmer … By using this service, some information may be shared with YouTube. If you find that the line is always flying out and hitting the guard, it may be too loosely wound on the spool. If you notice this problem, you can sharpen it with a file, sharpening stone, or angle grinder. Some manufacturers recommend a 1:25 ratio for their engines so check your manual. These comments do help. Properly cared for, it will give you years of rugged, trouble-free performance. To create this article, 11 people, some anonymous, worked to edit and improve it over time. Higher powered gas trimmers can also be used with light gage line, but for cutting thick vegetation in overgrown areas such as long grass, nettles, docks and other weeds, heavier gage line is pretty much essential to avoid breaking or tangling the line. This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Straight shaft. % of people told us that this article helped them. How to String a Ryobi Trimmer Plus. Whether you are a legendary landscaper or a weekend weed whacker, eReplacementParts.com provides the parts, procedures and facts you need to fearlessly fix what fails you. Question: Can you use a string trimmer for cutting overgrown grass that's 2 feet tall? Changing the Line on a Single-Line Trimmer, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/2\/2f\/Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-1-Version-4.jpg\/v4-460px-Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-1-Version-4.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/2\/2f\/Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-1-Version-4.jpg\/aid168693-v4-728px-Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-1-Version-4.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

License: Creative Commons<\/a>
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/8\/8e\/Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-2-Version-4.jpg\/v4-460px-Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-2-Version-4.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/8\/8e\/Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-2-Version-4.jpg\/aid168693-v4-728px-Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-2-Version-4.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/2\/2b\/Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-3-Version-4.jpg\/v4-460px-Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-3-Version-4.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/2\/2b\/Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-3-Version-4.jpg\/aid168693-v4-728px-Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-3-Version-4.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/6\/6e\/Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-4-Version-4.jpg\/v4-460px-Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-4-Version-4.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/6\/6e\/Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-4-Version-4.jpg\/aid168693-v4-728px-Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-4-Version-4.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/6\/62\/Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-5-Version-4.jpg\/v4-460px-Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-5-Version-4.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/6\/62\/Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-5-Version-4.jpg\/aid168693-v4-728px-Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-5-Version-4.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, Changing the Line on a Double-Line Trimmer, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/4\/48\/Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-6-Version-4.jpg\/v4-460px-Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-6-Version-4.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/4\/48\/Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-6-Version-4.jpg\/aid168693-v4-728px-Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-6-Version-4.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/9\/97\/Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-7-Version-4.jpg\/v4-460px-Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-7-Version-4.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/9\/97\/Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-7-Version-4.jpg\/aid168693-v4-728px-Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-7-Version-4.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/4\/46\/Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-8-Version-4.jpg\/v4-460px-Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-8-Version-4.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/4\/46\/Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-8-Version-4.jpg\/aid168693-v4-728px-Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-8-Version-4.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/3\/3a\/Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-9-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-9-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/3\/3a\/Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-9-Version-3.jpg\/aid168693-v4-728px-Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-9-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/4\/47\/Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-10-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-10-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/4\/47\/Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-10-Version-3.jpg\/aid168693-v4-728px-Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-10-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, Changing the Line on a Speed-Feed Trimmer, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/a\/a4\/Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-11-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-11-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/a\/a4\/Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-11-Version-3.jpg\/aid168693-v4-728px-Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-11-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/3\/3b\/Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-12-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-12-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/3\/3b\/Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-12-Version-3.jpg\/aid168693-v4-728px-Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-12-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/0\/0e\/Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-13-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-13-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/0\/0e\/Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-13-Version-3.jpg\/aid168693-v4-728px-Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-13-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/4\/4f\/Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-14-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-14-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/4\/4f\/Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-14-Version-3.jpg\/aid168693-v4-728px-Change-the-String-on-a-Lawn-Trimmer-Step-14-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}. This may also be a good time to apply lube to relevant parts. If the spool doesn’t slide easily back into the head, for example, don’t try to jam it in. After a season's worth of use, the trimmer cutting line will probably need replacement. Like most power tools nowadays, they are available in gas, electric corded and rechargeable battery cordless versions.The machine was invented in the early 1970s by George Ballas of Houston, Texas. Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 496,254 times. Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on September 12, 2018: Great! Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on July 04, 2017: You could use a brushcutter. The mechanism that releases the line (if it atofeeds or line can be fed out by bumping the head) may be damaged. You can buy small bottles of two stroke oil which are sufficient to make up about a gallon or 5 liters (litres) of mix in a gerry can. I don't know how effective they would be on grass and it's unlikely they could be used up close to herbs. Please, what causes this? So basically it is like a spinning whip.This guide shows you how to wind the spool, and cut, without breaking the line! Because it's electric there are no fumes and it's ideal if you you find it difficult to pull start an engine. It contains additives which can contaminate the cylinder over time and also it can tar up the piston. Answer: It could be a couple of things. As always, its better to consult your manual to see what the manufacturer recommends. I figured out why the line was hitting the guard. Hedwig Storch, CC BY SA 3.0 Unported via Wikimedia Commons. Insert the line in the eyelet on the string trimmer housing. is that good? Husbands shouldnt die before wives!! It's probably a good idea to wipe out any remaining oil from the measuring cup with a paper towel, otherwise all sorts of dust and dirt, spiders and insects will have stuck to the oil by the time you use it the next time. I presume you've tried to wind it tight and even as suggested, so excess line doesn't fly out and get cut off when it feeds. The retainer plays a small, yet significant role in securing the trimmer head to the trimmer shaft. Suggestions? Prime the engine by pushing the primer button about 8 times. The square edges also improve cutting efficiency compared to standard round profile typeCheck your trimmer to see whether it is compatible with this diameter line. Please help us continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker. The only other think I can think of is that something's gone awry with the feed mechanism. Always be careful when trimming around small plants and flowers as they can be easily damaged. Make sure the spool is seated properly in the head before you screw on the cover. I end up with a lot of the lower second string still on the spool, when the top is gone, and mostly, I'm cutting with one string. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters. It still wears rapidly, but just a little bit at a time rather than in large pieces, Thinner gage line will snap more readily. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. it's slippery). Do gas ones have these things? Hi there. This article provides step-by-step instructions for removing and installing the lower flexible drive shaft on a Ryobi trimmer… The line keeps hitting with the plastic guard and makes an awful noise. Let the tip of the line do the work and ease it into the area being cut, When cutting around shrubs and trees, take care you don't strip the bark which can kill the plant, Creepers and climbing plants can sometimes get tangled around the cutting head of a trimmer, although the line usually cuts through these, however if you have young cabbage palms (cordylines) in your garden, keep well away from the leaves! Thanks. Answer: In general, mix 1 part oil with 50 parts petrol (gas). Even won a $100 bet against a gas one. To learn how to change the line on a double-line trimmer, scroll down. Eugene Brennan (author) from Ireland on August 11, 2016: Hi Len, as outlined in the article above, try to cut with the tip of the line, don't bury it in vegetation or let it slap off concrete. Some vegetation can be very tough with stringy fibres and a trimmer won't cut it, although a brush cutter, maybe one with a cutting disk, will do. View and Download Ryobi EXPAND-IT RY15524 operator's manual online. Question: How to pull the string out when it is cut? You can also buy line which has a square profile rather than round, and supposedly the "corners" cut better. And for you gas-lovers out there, this string trimmer actually delivers longer run time than a gas trimmer.

Connor Macleod Sword Replica, Toyota Concept-i Ride, Aprilia Showroom Near Me, A Far Cry From Kensington Goodreads, Florence County Delinquent Tax List, What Does Hol Mean In Text, Sanitary Ball Valve, Minoff Urgent Care, Big Chungus Theme Song Lyrics,