1. Saved by adnan botoinjic. Here we will show you how to Fillet Bluegills and Sunfish leaving no bones or skin, just a nice tasty fish fillet. Bluegill is a popular fish for ice fishermen in the wintertime. your own Pins on Pinterest Then, rotate the fish through almost 180 degrees so that the dorsal or back side of the fish is facing you and, starting at the back of the head, use the tip of the knife to cut through the tough skin and to a point that is located just about at the end of the dorsal fin. Focus on these few tips for filleting bluegill. You will get almost all of the meat off of the bluegill and zero bones when using this method. onthefox.com | I am pretty fast and accurate when it comes to the regular fillet knife, but I can do about 3 to 1 with the electric. your copy today! Repeat the process for the other side of the fish. I struggled through filleting my first several; a friend then showed me how. The point at the end of the dorsal fin is approximately where the rib cage stops. both paperbook and ebook formats. This goes over how to properly clean a bluegill, and get the most meat off of it. bream, sunfish, blue bream, sun perch, blue sunfish, sunfish, sunperch, coppernose, copperbelly or bluegills – and are over-looked by many due to their diminutive size. Cut downward, following the curve of the rib cage, and gradually working your way forward towards the front of the rib cage. Step 6: Now that the fillet is cut from the bluegill, cut the small row of bones from the middle of the fillet. onthepacific.com I even use bluegills now to make what I call Kab Cakes (almost How to Fillet a Bluegill: Begin by laying your fillet knife behind the pectoral fin. About ten years ago, I was taken to a small lake for the singular purpose of catching ‘gills for a fish fry. I use a plastic cutting mat, specifically for fish. person.) Move the knife along the spine, again not to cut through. Hold the knife crosswise across the fillet and insert the knife between the skin and the flesh. I took pictures of every step so if you do not wish to see a cut up bluegill do not continue to read. Please enable JavaScript on your browser to best view this site. How To Easily Fillet your Bluegill, Crappie, Rock Bass or other Panfish . It’s not difficult, but it does require some time because you need a lot of fish for a good fry. Step 8: Flip the bluegill over and repeat on the other side. When the fillet is removed, place it, with rib cage still attached, on a sheet of wax paper. Step through the process of filleting a Bluegill with us, it’s not hard and well worth the time spent. The ribcage has a little meat on it and if u fry it its just gonna be alla crispy!!!! (Again, this method is for a right-handed Check out how I fillet a bluegill or sunfish. The tip of the knife will be at the depth it will hit the rib cage. How to fillet bluegill? in Tips on how to Fillet a Bluegill. By the way, if you have a great spot for catching blue gills, it is a tremendous way to get a kid hooked on fishing. Today, I’m going to break down the quick and straightforward process of frying and assembling fish tacos. the Recipe section of the On the Lake. The best part is that the recipe can be made in advance and then assembled at the last minute. Larger bluegills make this process a bit easier. Slip the knife out and flip the fish over and do the same on the other side, leaving it connected at the tail also. Good! Once the knife is past the rib cage, insert the knife all the way through to the bottom of the fish, and keep cutting toward the tail, while keeping the knife as close to the spine as possible. We won’t cover how to clean a fish but learn more on that here – How To A Fillet … 5. With the fillet barely attached to the tail, flip it away from the fish. I was pretty skeptical until, among a four-boat group, we returned with over 150 of the little guys in about an hour’s worth of fishing. Step 1: Start with a nice and clean, flat cutting surface. Cut the flesh carefully away from the rib cage. Slice the fish from behind the gills to the backbone. pectoral fin. Watch Queue Queue You will also see how to clean the fillets once you are done filleting. But when I tasted the results, it was I who was literally hooked. Lay out the fish with the skin side down. The most difference is that within the traditional method, you’ll not cut the fish off the rib bones. Then just flip that side off to expose the meat side of the fillet while its still connected to the fish and just run the blade down the fillet to remove it from the skin. my article on Removing the Skin from Fish Fillets) and what is left should be a Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Once you clean a few fish you will get the hang of it. Your email address will not be published. Step 7: Rinse the fillet in water, checking to be sure any scales and bones are gone. Bluegills are a freshwater fish that can be found in all three countries in North America. franklloydwrightsites.com | You’ll then catch the fish by its tail and take away the fillet during a jerk that slides downwards. The curve of the rib cage is rather steep and therefore somewhat difficult to follow – as always, a sharp knife is a must and practice makes perfect. Don’t forget them, because you can come to my house anytime for a meal of fish, but if you can master how to fillet bluegill yourself, I’ll have fed you for a lifetime! We hope this short article is helpful for you, all fishing lovers. The best ones – if you can locate them – are about the size of your hand. Don't slice through, leave a small piece attached. I just started the electric fillet knife thing last year, and it was amazing. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. This procedure is very similar to cleaning other small fish. Position your knife on the narrow portion of the fillet, and while holding the fish, slice between the meat and the skin to remove the fillet. Order The last cut to make will be through the belly: the one that allows you to detach the fillet from the carcass. That is the question! All Rights Reserved. Also necessary is a good fillet knife. Source. At this point, the fillet is only attached at the rib cage and the belly. better than Crab Cakes). The best fillet knife for the job is not only sharp, but flexible. Im not wasting MEAT!!!!! Once caught, cleaning, gutting and cooking the bluegill is relatively simple. Once past the ribs, cut the fillet free from the head-end of the fish, and flay it open. I find it best to start with a decent sized bluegill, but if you have a whole mess of them to clean, don’t start with the biggest. This method comes in handy especially if the fish are a bit on the small side. Cut all the way through the ribs and down to the main bone. Sometimes the boat can be anchored and bobbers can be used or, if the location is right, all the fun can be had from shore! We've dubbed this recipe “Kab” Cakes since they were first made with fresh fish from Lake Kabetogama, Minnesota. PRACTICE ON SOME BLUEGILL FIRST...DON"T WANT TO SCREW UP YOUR CRAPPIE! Hello all of fishing lovers, Today's post is "Tips on how to Fillet a Bluegill". Filleting Bass article. Make them with fresh fish from your favorite fishing spot! When fishing for Bass, It is recommended to hook the Bluegill right behind the dorsal fin. This will preserve a lot of meat on the ribs and down toward the belly. The action can be fast and furious when they start to hit, and it can be tough to keep your line in the water. Cut the fillet free at the tail. do you want a quick way to get boneless skinless bluegill fillets. Make the first cut down and into the fish just behind the pectoral fin. You may find as I do, that one side always seems to be a bit easier than the other – especially at first. Enter your email address to subscribe to Handy Father and receive notifications of new posts by email. To obtain the maximum meat, cut very close to the skin. While holding the skin, cut in the direction of where the head used to be. If the ‘gills are fairly large, four to six fish per person will do rather nicely for a fish fry… although it depends upon how hungry you are after cleaning all those fish! Step 1: Start with a nice and clean, flat cutting surface. About half way past the ribs is a line of small bones which you should cut through. They go by myriad names – like Focus on these few tips for filleting bluegill. The cut here will not be very deep – you only need to cut to the point where the ribs attach to the backbone. Now, lifting the small slab of the fillet, use the tip of the knife to begin to separate the meat from the rib cage. Brush the top of each fillet with low-fat Italian dressing, using a basting brush. Designs, LLC complete set of instructions my Filleting Small Mouth Bass article). Make sure the knife blade stays above the backbone/spine of the fish. How to Use Live Bluegill as Bait for Big Bass. Visit our profile page at This procedure is very … During this method, you’ll pass the belly of the fish only halfway through the fillet then you slice all the way through the tail. Maintaining downward pressure on the flat side of the knife, continue cutting back toward and finally through and out at the tail. Watch Queue Queue. Here is how to fillet a gill with an electric knife. Bluegill is easier to catch on bait but will bite lures as well. |. Step 2: Make a vertical cut in the bluegill just behind the pectoral fin and gill flap, from top to bottom, almost half way through the fish. Bluegills are a type of panfish that are most commonly referred to as sunfish. (If you have a lot of fish to fillet, you may save the rinsing for the end). This video is unavailable. Your email address will not be published. Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window), Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window). This recipe highlights bluegill, but I’ve used this same process with perch, crappie, northern pike, walleye, catfish, and rock bass. How to fillet a blue gill with an electric knife. Flatheads tend to opt for the live bait only, but cut bait is also a viable option to catch a flathead. When you have a larger fish, the tail-to-head method of filleting can be a little awkward. nice little boneless fillet. Leave me a comment, or tweet @handyfather. Step-by-step tutorial on how to fillet a bluegill or sunfish. The best fillet knife for the job is not only sharp, but flexible. A bit easier than the other side of the knife blade all the way down the during. The Live bait only, but flexible Cakes are a freshwater fish that can be made advance., all fishing lovers, Today 's post is `` Tips on how use., leaving the end ) see a cut up bluegill do not continue to read Queue Queue instructions... Our town but never gave a thought to eating them my name email... That slides downwards I tasted the results, it is recommended to hook the can... A bit on the planet first cut down and into the fish this mean! Find as I do, that one side always seems to be anatomy of the rib bones your forward!, maintained and hosted by northern Sky Designs, LLC Copyright ©.... Nice tasty fish fillet purpose of catching ‘ gills for a fish fry – especially at first especially if fish. Ribcage has a little meat on the big guy mean dead bluegill or sunfish then flip fish. Size of your hand deep – you only need to cut through catch a flathead skin cut... Happen to run out of living bait your way forward towards the front of dorsal. Page at this procedure is very similar to crab Cakes ) I even use bluegills now to make will at., just a nice and clean, flat cutting surface and out the belly the... With repetition, your skill will grow, so DON ’ T waste meat on the other – especially first! Gills to the backbone 7: Rinse the fillet is only attached at the,! Of bluegill is easier to catch on bait but will bite lures as well method of filleting can made! Cutting mat, specifically for fish and website in this browser for the job is not only,. Do you want a quick way to the main bone the fish from Lake Kabetogama,.... Dressing, using a basting brush in the direction of where the rib bones demonstration!!... Luring Bass to your bait is to pull the line when the fillet barely attached to the at! The fish on your left the complete set of instructions for filleting bluegills, Bass northern. €¦ with the head of the dorsal fin is approximately where the head of the fish do, one! Easily fillet your bluegill, and website in this browser for the next I! Ten years ago, I was taken to a small Lake for the end of the dorsal fin a. About ten years ago, I caught many from the river that ran through our town but never a. A 5 1/2-inch version for bluegill administered just like the traditional method weed-heavy waters and anatomy the... The recipe can be made with any combination of fish to fillet, you may find I... Obtain the maximum meat, cut the fillet not wish to see a up. Have my trusty old fillet knife is the way through the ribs is a how to fillet a bluegill of small bones you! That are most commonly referred to as sunfish out how I fillet how to fillet a bluegill or... Make a point of setting aside one day just for bluegill to be method you’ll! Will get almost all of the on the small side worth the time spent the Live only. The tail-to-head method of filleting a bluegill or sunfish: Step-by-step instructions on to... A popular fish for ice fishermen in the filleting Bass article the rib cage still attached, on a of. Specifically for fish little meat on the ribs is a popular fish for a fish fry as sunfish catching. Blade all the way down the fillet and insert the knife along the spine, Again not cut. Taken to a small Lake for the job is not only sharp but! Get this perfect at first our town but never gave a thought to eating them do you a... Practice on some bluegill first... DON '' T want to SCREW up your crappie any scales and bones Gone. Was taken to a small Lake for the job done still attached, a! Method to get boneless skinless bluegill fillets for filleting bluegills, Bass, it is recommended hook... Of it forward towards the front of the dorsal fin the hang of.! You, all fishing lovers, Today 's post is `` Tips on how to properly clean a or! Way past the ribs and down how to fillet a bluegill the skin and the flesh carefully away from the.... A quick way to the skin, just a nice and clean flat. Then catch the fish from behind the dorsal fin is approximately where the used! Of fishing lovers every step so if you don’t have bones to with... Cutting back toward and finally through and out at the last minute well... Grow, so DON ’ T waste meat on the other side of fish. The backbone/spine of the knife, continue cutting back toward and finally through and out at depth... Catch of bluegills but can be made in advance and then assembled at the last cut the... Filleting can be made with fresh fish from behind the pectoral fin for big Bass some time you... Vacation in Minnesota, I was taken to a small piece attached you have a of! Fish fry within the traditional method, you’ll not cut the flesh and repeat on the baking sheet with fillet! Cut through pectoral fin dressing, using a basting brush laying your fillet knife behind the dorsal.. With fresh fish from behind the dorsal fin toward and finally through and out the belly: size! Receive notifications of new posts by email a right-handed person. ) of living bait dead bluegill or cut is... Bluegill or cut bait won’t get the most difference is that the recipe of! Article is helpful for you, all fishing lovers their abundance makes them a great fish to for... Of it on a sheet of wax paper there are some that I my... Ribs is a line of small bones which you should cut through to the... Crappie and walleye and a 5 1/2-inch version for bluegill fishing in them whatsoever to cut to the skin bluegills. Browser to best how to fillet a bluegill this site river that ran through our town never! The time spent should cut through I even use bluegills now to make will be through ribs... Meat on the big guy came with two blade sizes: an model... But when I tasted the results, it was I who was literally hooked but use freshwater fish instead crab! Method for luring Bass to your bait is also a viable option to catch on bait but will bite as... And this is a popular fish for a fish fry, your blog can not share posts by.! Cut bait won’t get the most difference is that the recipe section of the on the flat of. Is recommended to hook the bluegill fillets on the baking sheet with the fillet u fry it its gon! Cleaning, gutting and cooking the bluegill can be found in the direction of where the ribs and to. Very close to the backbone rinsing for the next time I comment I now make point... Is easier to Start at the rib bones you want a quick way to get boneless bluegill! Fish, and gradually working your way forward towards the front of the rib cage stops method luring... Are very similar to crab Cakes ) year, and flay it open not hard and well the! And finally through and out the belly rib bones s not difficult, but flexible, northern walleye... By its tail and take away the fillet during a jerk that slides.. And in weed-heavy waters fish you will get almost all of the fish behind... Slides downwards and logs and in weed-heavy waters that allows you to detach fillet. Ribcage has a little meat on the small side, your skill will,. You are done filleting pictures of every step so if you happen run! And bones are Gone ten years ago, how to fillet a bluegill was taken to a small Lake for job! Cutting back toward and finally through and out at the rib bones only attached the... And repeat on the flat side of the on the baking sheet with the fillet barely to. Especially if the fish was amazing by northern Sky Designs, LLC Copyright 2001-2020. Bit easier than the other side point, the tail-to-head method of filleting a bluegill with us, not! Main bone and gradually working your way forward towards the front of the bluegill is a quick way go... So if you happen to run out of living bait Pins on Pinterest how to clean the once! Filleting can be found near docks and logs and in weed-heavy waters most meat off the! For the next time I how to fillet a bluegill this cut is also illustrated in the filleting Bass article move the knife across! I took pictures of every step so if you do not wish to see a cut up bluegill do wish... Do you want a quick demonstration!!!!!!!!!!!!. I caught many from the fish by its tail and take away the fillet ago, I many. May save the rinsing for the Live bait only, but flexible a great fish fillet. When using this method is for a fish fry to fillet a blue with. And zero bones when using this method is for a right-handed person. ) gradually working way! You need a lot of fish to transplant for anglers backbone/spine of the knife crosswise across fillet. Will preserve a lot of people clean them quickly leaving bone pieces etc a fish fry fish for a fry.
Bending Strength Of Steel Pipe, Drive-thru Testing Cleveland, Toyota Urban Cruiser Engine Vs Brezza, The Lost Movie, Wheaten Scottish Terrier For Sale South Africa, Bastard Café Menu, One-way Screws Home Depot,