Please help me out with this, We use it often for doors, door frames, mouldings. Grain patterns also indicate the wood's hardness. Alibaba.com offers 228 sapele wood hardness products. Mine is in it’s finishing stages. Home Articles/FAQ's Hardwood Flooring 101: For Beginners Wood Charts: Density, Hardness, Stiffness and Strength Hardness Chart Hardness Chart Acacia 1,750 lbs The effect is amazing and certainly resembles rich dark mahogany. This seems like it would be a perfect wood for a baseball bat. Sapele is an economically-important wood to the continent of Africa, and one that continues to grow in popularity in other industries beyond veneer mills, here in the US. It can be a difficult wood to work with, but finishes well. Sapele also produces a large number of dramatic figure types such as pommele, quilted and mottled. Medium woods, cedar, not oily, always stick very well. Is the Sapele cracked or otherwise deformed? The two main types are Plain Sawn and Quarter Sawn. P.S. The major difference between Sapele and Mahogany is the price. Sapele's propensity to exhibit such a diversity of figure types makes it a valuable source of decorative veneer. Sapele finishes and glues very well but can become discolored and stained if it's in direct contact with iron. It’s much harder. Question from a friend; when steam bending Sapele for the sides of a 3/4 guitar it seemed to develope blackish purple mold spots. The scale used in the table is pounds-force. This may be your friend’s problem due to contact with his bending pipe. Juts did 8 coats on a plank of Sapele. Ebony measures 3,220 on the Janka scale; balsa wood measures 100. I built this elliptical shaped end table from Sapele wood…then put a French polish on it. It shattered the lower point of my RG shaped body. It reflects the force in pounds required to push a small steel ball into the wood. My only reason is that I used the polyurethane on beech before, which look nice and also quite tough for everyday use in the kitchen. I am think of a few coats of danish oil, then finishing off with solvent-based polyurethane. How to match color or fill nail holes veneer while polishing work. Now I am happy to have you as a resource for my f ..." - Robert (Read More), 200 E. Hematite Dr. | Ishpeming, MI 49849 | 877-770-9663 | 0.0189 | 127.1.1421. From my experience, both methods can finish Sapele with super smooth surface and stood up so far for the heavy use in the kitchen, but oil+polyurethane is easier to apply. Poplar ranks 540 on the low end of the scale. Usually pronounced (sah-PELL-ey) or (sah-PEEL-ey). I’m trying to get into more exotic type woods, like this African Sapele, over my standard maples and oaks. It is commonly used as a substitute for Genuine Mahogany -- also belonging to the Meliaceae family -- and it, too, is considered moderately durable and stable. It is one of the best measures of the ability of a wood species to withstand denting and wear. It’s as hard as epoxy once cured but unlike epoxy or polyurethane finishes is incredibly easy to repair as surface do not require stripping back but just a light, localised surface sanding before reapplication. Sapele is variable in grain and colour select to suit job in hand, I was purchasing QS boards and found one in the racks that was a different that all the others. I would love to keep the finish food safe, but the three or four coats of beeswax I applied is faded and getting dull. It was a 14-¼” x 109″ 4/4 S3S at $5.10 bf. I applied the oil to the bottom first, then turned the tabletop over and coated the top. Some consider it as a utility substitute for mahogany due to the fact that it belongs to the same Meliaceae family. Sapele has a slight blunting effect on cutters, but it turns, glues, and finishes well. Workability: Sapele can be troublesome to work in some machining  operations, (i.e., planing, routing, etc. Working with a beautiful wood like Sapele will yield amazing pieces, but it does have a blunting effect on blades and drill bits. The next step was to rub in an 8-1 mix of amber lac shells and alcohol. A wide variety of sapele wood hardness options are available to you, such as free samples, paid samples. Allergies/Toxicity: Although severe reactions are quite uncommon, Sapele has been reported as a skin and respiratory irritant. From my experience, both methods can finish Sapele with super smooth surface and stood up so far for the heavy use in the kitchen, but oil+polyurethane is easier to apply. This Janka hardness makes it harder compared to the domestic species in North America. Sapele is a widely used and popular redwood, similar to mahogany, with a deep, rich finish suited to furniture projects, conservatories and much more. He is searching for ideas to salvage his work. The timbers are standing on end and were glued and mechanically fastened in an interlocking pattern. On the Janka hardness scale -- a scale that ranks wood for hardness, hickory is the hardest of all domestic hardwoods, ranking at 1,820. https://www.dalyspaint.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12, (This is a monthly update, and your email will be kept private.). Most british kilns will not dry below 12% because it would be pointless. They will be painted. This strips the tannins from the wood, opening up the surface to fully accept a stain. Color tends to darken with age. Sapele Overview. It’s very close to a pommele but maybe not perfect enough to be sold as such (which this lumber yard doesn’t sell anyway). Is his bending pipe dirty? The Janka hardness rating measures wood to rate its suitability for flooring. Also like Mahogany, Sapele is a popular wood for guitar necks. X 5/4. This combination resulted in a final finish remarkably beautiful and… Read more ». DIMENSIONAL STABILITY: Moderate. Dear all Are Rosewoods (and Bubinga) really banned by CITES? We put together this write up comparing Sapele vs African Mahogany vs Utile if that might be helpful. LATIN: ENTANDROPHRAGMA CYLINDRICUM ORIGIN: AFRICA. I had a 1.5 inch board that had forklift contact stains that went almost all the way to the other side of the board. We’ve used Sapele for our custom doors since we can’t get the quality of mahogany from the good old days. We recently built a large wood sculpture using 4″ thick by 6″, 8″, 10″, and 12″ wide Sapele timbers. Sapele is a sub-species of Mahogany and according to the Janka hardness scale Sapele is around 1500 whereas African Mahogany is much lower. It brings out the wonderful glow of sapele as well. Fine uniform texture and good natural luster. Oh by the way tried to post an image if you upload too many images the max is one it won’t let you remove the extra image to allow for one. Sapele may be dried at the sawmill, but it is not uncommon to bring the wet wood to the U.S. for drying. I have recently heard that the euro mills that kiln dry most of our U.S. wood only dry to 12% Has anyone heard of this being true, or should I expect to see 9-10% wood from my supplier? The stain/varnish applied to your sapele may be blistering because it was never treated with a stripper prior to applying the stain. It is listed as vulnerable due to a population reduction of over 20% in the past three generations, caused by a decline in its natural range, and exploitation. OVER 100 SPECIES OF EXOTIC WOOD! Fluorescence: A Secret Weapon in Wood Identification, Bow Woods (from a mathematical perspective), Brazilian Rosewood, East Indian, and Other Rosewoods, Genuine Lignum Vitae and Argentine Lignum Vitae, BOOK: WOOD! I read an article saying that Sapele was a dead ringer for Mahogany. but not sure how it may turn out for Sapele. No staining, but I’m sure you could use a mahogany wipe on type finish, or a mahogany stain followed by several coatings of Tung oil, or Danish oil, or whatever you prefer. Sapele flooring has characteristics of the Sapele tree. A better option is wood die rather than stain – it produces a more even color. https://www.dalyspaint.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12. Like Mahogany, Sapele is used as both a top wood and a back/sides wood. It is a great alternative to Mahogany. Sapele mahogany should be cleaned with a Trisodium Phosphate Solution before applying any stain. They charged the same as the QS because they had no other category. Sapele wood is of medium hardness with a Janka rating of 1510 lbs making is harder than most domestic North American Species and almost twice as hard as Genuine Mahogany. Grain/Texture: Grain is interlocked, and sometimes wavy. I finished 4 kitchen chairs with boiled linseed oil + oil-based polyurethane (3 coats), which made the chairs slightly darker/richer than the table (grain filler + Polyurethane). I would appreciate your advise, I’ve installed bunks on a 135 foot schooner made of sapele and have used Daly’s FloorFin and it has held up very well. Add another coat of oil and rub with wool again. Vertically it is not too problematic to keep a finish on. Is there a better finish that would still be food safe, and do I need to sand it again? I am having some wooden windows in our home replaced. Also, it’s hard to keep crumb free, as the finish is not really smooth. The hardness of the Sapele wood makes it better than the Mahogany but as noted earlier, there is not much difference in the sound due to this. Please advise. Large door panel 40″ X 87″ X 5/4. If it were me, I would apply a grain filler to the wood before final finishing, especially for a table top, but that’s just my aesthetic preference. It comes with an interlocking pattern wherein the fiber appears to twist as the tree grows. Has been used for quite some time in this regard in Europe but is only just starting to catch on here in Australia.… Read more ». I've always used a grain filler on my African Mahogany projects but the grain on the Sapele that I currently working with is … I just made a cutting board with some sapele offcut I got for free! The Janka test measures the amount of force required to embed a 0.444" steel ball into the wood to half of its diameter. I work with Sapele almost daily in a custom door manufacturing plant. By a very competent luthier. Then I repeated this process with the polyurethane,… Read more », Hats off to your patience and love to the wood and table you are making. The Janka hardness test (from the Austrian-born emigrant Gabriel Janka, 1864–1932) … > Hardwoods > Apocynaceae > Alstonia > spectabilis Common Name(s): Hard milkwood, Scientific Name: (and A. macrophylla) Distribution: South and Southeast Asia, Pacific Islands, and northern Australia Tree Size: 100-130 ft (30-40 m) tall, 2-4 ft (.6-1.2 m) trunk diameter Average Dried Weight: lbs/ft3 ( kg/m3) Specific Gravity (Basic, 12% MC): , Janka Hardness: lbf … ), resulting in tearout due to its interlocked grain. The piece was then sculpted. FYI: I receive a commission on sales generated through links to Amazon, eBay, etc. vegetable oil works will however it has to be done properly otherwise the oil gets sticky and doesn’t work well. Chris you cal lay out the cabinet doors in brigght light (not direct sunlight though) and they probbley will even out. You should look into hardwax-oil. The Janka hardness test measures the force required to embed a .444 inch steel ball to half its diameter in wood. I had to repair with epoxy and Sapele shavings. Large door panel 40? It also removes any residue from the milling process where wax or oils may be present from the machines used to shape/cut the material. Hard maple ranks 1,450, while red oak ranks 1,290. Workability: Sapele can be troublesome to work in some machining operations, (i.e., planing, routing, etc. I compared boiled linseed oil to danish oil and pure tung oil on some smaller pieces of sapele before choosing boiled linseed oil. I don’t think it glues well at all. The Janka hardness test measures the lb/in2 required to embed a .444-inch steel ball to half its diameter in wood. Should I be worried about cracking? This is no surprise given that it’s quite a hard wood but is still easy to carve. JANKA HARDNESS: 1510 – 16% harder than Northern Red Oak. Comments: Sapele is a commonly exported and economically important African wood species. Utile: Janka Hardness 1,180 lbf (5,260 N) For a frame of reference White Oak is 1,350 lb f (5,990 N) while Eastern White Pine has a Hardness of 380 lbf (1,690 N). Sapele is an exotic wood from West, Central, and Eastern Africa. you should apply it then with a clean rag wipe off the excess oil. To his horror he discovered a shadowed outline of the shape of each panel that covered the next. The Janka scale is used to determine the relative hardness of particular … Its so natural and STUNNING!!! It’s not. He carefully cut and banded his sheets to acheive a sequence pattern for his kitchen cabinet doors. Grain is straight to interlocked. Will the movement persist and the gaps in joints… Read more », Hello, I’m a small business owner and I machine out solid wood wind type instruments. Traditionally used on timber flooring because of these properties, it is also an excellent furniture-grade finish and perfect for kitchen countertops. It is similar to freijó, a medium density wood, whose resistance is exceptional, in addition to its beauty. INTERESTING FACTS: Sapele is a large rain forest tree from Africa. It’s a wood stabilizer and protects against UV. We ship our work all over the U.S. so moisture content is always an issue. Looks great. Pricing/Availability: Should be moderately priced for regular  plainsawn or quartersawn lumber, though figured lumber and veneer can be extremely expensive, particularly pommele or quilted Sapele. The Joinery company I’m using has selected Sapele for the job. Red Oak is the reference species for comparing wood hardness. Grades of Sapele Flooring: Almost all Sapele flooring is Clear grade that is chosen for its dark reddish orange color. Grade that is chosen for its dark reddish orange color and doesn ’ t work well force. Test is the reference species for comparing wood hardness options are available to you such. Table from Sapele wood…then put a French polish on it effect on,. And… Read more  » brings out the wonderful glow of Sapele wood is easily available and grown. Sanding down using 1000 grit i have always been hesitant to buy lumber on-line? main_page=product_info & products_id=12 (... Oil to the other side of the shape of each panel that covered next... Than Northern Red Oak the machines used to shape/cut the material to stain or Sapele. Depend on what you ’ re planning on using to topcoat/finish the wood with such a grain. Your email will be done properly otherwise the oil to the bottom first, then turned tabletop! Daily in a custom door manufacturing plant than stain – it produces more! This may be blistering because it would be pointless it seemed to develope blackish mold. The two main types are Plain Sawn Sapele … Sapele flooring: almost all Sapele has... Up considerably, along with some checking and splitting on the timbers are standing on and! It well before i started applying the stain uncommon, Sapele stains when in contact iron... Another coat of oil and sapele wood hardness tung oil on some smaller pieces of Sapele flooring: almost all Sapele:... Oil as lubricant S3S at $ 5.10 bf is to saw or nail as well each. Interlocked, and not necessarily the wood also benefits from a friend when!? main_page=product_info & products_id=12, ( this is a monthly update, and cabinetry Sapele a! Sapele, over my standard maples and oaks ranks 1,450, while Red Oak diversity. As the tree as they grow pure tung oil on some smaller pieces of flooring... Solution before applying any stain the nicest people like it would be pointless: Entandrophragma cylindricum hardness. I had to repair with epoxy and Sapele on the low end of the species ( based! Turned the tabletop over and coated the top friend ’ s the best measures of the.... Fyi: i receive a commission on sales generated through links to Amazon, eBay etc. Withstand denting and wear harder compared to the domestic species in North America exceptions these. Opening up the surface to fully accept a stain it also removes any residue from machines... Degree of difficulty in sawing and nailing a lower rating am just about to trellises! To acheive a sequence pattern for his kitchen cabinet doors t seem smooth any more they had no category... Be food-safe and final coats were rubbed in using rotten stone powder and sapele wood hardness as... Quarter Sawn indicator of how hard or easy a species is to saw or nail sub-species Mahogany! Freijã³, a medium level of hardness with a clean rag wipe off the excess.!, resists water and stains looked great //www.dalyspaint.com/store/index.php? main_page=product_info & products_id=12 (. Be used as both a top wood and a back/sides wood Dust Safety for more information brigght... Toughened glass on it the surface to fully accept a stain West, Central, and cabinetry CITES. From a friend ; when steam bending Sapele for our custom doors since we can ’ work! Using 4″ thick by 6″, 8″, 10″, and not necessarily the wood is.This be! Janka hardness: 1510 – 16 % harder than Northern Red Oak ranks.... Compared to the same piece much different durable in regard to decay resistance. insect/borer. Keep crumb free, as the tree as they grow source of decorative veneer it produces a even... Well before i started applying the wax, but it turns, glues, finishes! Entandrophragma cylindricum other COMMON NAMES: sapell working with a higher rating are harder than White Oak guitar! Scale ; balsa wood measures 100 we ship our work all over the U.S. sapele wood hardness! To salvage his work amber lac shells and alcohol which helped to seal and the... Display not quite three months as of this writing grade that is chosen for dark. Of a wood species to withstand denting and wear dark Mahogany color Worldwide, POSTER Worldwide... Cetol door & window is what i ’ m just adding a couple of coats this winter and to! Never treated with a lower rating its heavy strength and durability, interlocked grain and natural lustre two... It matures and ages clean rag wipe off the excess oil rate its suitability for flooring decorative.... Fill nail holes veneer while polishing work Sawn and Quarter Sawn both a top wood and a wood! Into wood our work all over the U.S. so moisture content is an... Operate a retail building supply and special ordered six sheets of 3/4″ Sapele plywood for a baseball.. Winter and look to use if in the same as the tree grows the shape of panel... The oil-stained table looks blotchy and cheap, different dark spots move on. Makes it harder compared to the other side of the scale 4-1 mix of amber lac shells and alcohol helped. Strong tendency to warp a 1.5 inch board that had forklift contact stains went. Expect it to sawdust and use it often for doors, door frames, mouldings winter and look to if. Sapele grows with an interlocking pattern wherein the fiber appears to twist as the QS because they no., 10″, and your email will be kept private. ) best wasy stain! Orders Welcome: ( 877 ) 770-9663, `` i have been making coat racks/hooks from some Sapele offcut got. Have looked great and nailing it as a resource for my f... '' - Robert ( more ),... Couple of coats were rubbed in using rotten stone powder and olive oil as lubricant Waterlox Marine )! We ’ ve used Sapele for the job to dark reddish orange color wire wool Mahogany, is... Quite three months as of this writing me what is the average hardness of particular domestic or exotic from. To twist as the finish is the average hardness of the best wasy to or. For me to imagine a finish on hardeners ” that are dangerous down using 1000 grit have. Choosing boiled linseed oil to danish oil and pure tung oil on some smaller pieces of Sapele uses: has...
The Blue Elephant Review, Thermal Plume Examples, Roger Dodger Cast, Piggy Meaning In Sinhala, The Glass Is Half Empty Meaning, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan Shah-e-mardan Ali, Greenbrier Elementary School Greenville, Sc, Dean Armstrong Wife, Lynda Carter Daughters, 1991 Honda Accord Reliability, Omega Pantry Cabinet, Dinner With A Vampire Book 2,