I’ve just built a backyard greenhouse in Regina Sask and had kept my geraniums alive, but now I wil go and revive them and I’ll have a whole lotta plants blooming this winter and into next summer. I love the stuff you send out. know-how. Kevin, if you are still reading this thread, is it too soon to be taking cuttings from a scented geranium in early Feb? Rinse off any soil which is clinging to the leaves. In Southborough, 4.1% of the citizens are veterans of the United States armed forces. So many times, I think to myself that yours is the most useful blog I read. I haven’t too much space in the house for larger plants near windows, but I want to use them for next year, rather than start over with all new plants. Some of the plants are sending up buds to bloom already. One could use cedar chips I would think. I hope this tutorial was useful to you in some small measure. or maybe 1/2 c. Can I mix some osmocte in the potting mix when I plant the cuttings instead of going out and buying the product you suggested? Thanks for naming the blue plant. Cool. my own. I so love this blog. If winterizing strawberry plants in mild winters, they will often live without any mulch or special winter care in Zones 7 and higher (8, 9). Out of the total city population, 50.2% are female and 49.8% are male. When you are cutting down the geraniums, do you cut down just as far as there are leaves? plastic pots, but I will wash/soak in bleach before using. I had some beautiful dark pink geraniums that ended up on the compost pile this year. X Research source A pot bigger than 15 US gal (57 L) will be really hard to move around. This is a good article on the effects of nitrogen and phosphorus on the ocean and ocean life. I have geraniums that get super tall and gangly, and cutting them down and repotting them gives me lots of new plants. From the two I bought I made eight new plants. Good tutorial – thanks much! Aloe Vera is easy to raise, requires relatively little care and provides pretty foliage year round. I’m going to re-pot those suckers today! Geraniums are easy to over-winter. After I’ve sliced, diced and repotted my Gerries, how do I know when they’re making new roots without removing them from the pot? I love the “frugality” aspect of it! They are her personal experiences with over wintering geraniums. if so after that you will absolutely get pleasant Veez. The winter cold can kill off these pests, so if you do prune off the old foliage right away as the flowers are emerging, it takes away the hiding place of any garden snails and kills off any whiteflies or mold that may be hanging about, ready to get a foothold. Kudos! I look forward to reading even more of what you’ve so kindly shared with everyone. They winter over just fine here, but it might be fun to use this method for a little happiness in the window through the winter months… Thanks. I have had difficulty clearing my thoughts in getting my thoughts out. Just read through your geranium tutorial. Got the LED shop lights there too). So far, I have made the broth for Scotch Broth, 2 pumpkin pies from a volunteer blue hubbard squash and 4 loaves of pumpkin nut bread. (VERY exciting.) Should I follow the same method of cutting them way back and repotting them with fresh soil? Sorry for the gray cloud. And, if I leave them long, should I pinch them back to get them a little more full again? How to Winterize Strawberry Plants in the Ground First, ensure that the plants are truly dormant by checking the crowns to make certain there is no active new growth growing. I posted one of your posts on one of my facebook and pinned this one. Hi Dear, are you genuinely visiting this website regularly, Would mid winter be a bad time to prune them down some? It is white but really doesn’t look like a geranium. I have trimmed the roots, like you said. I have a zebra plant for about a year it is growing very tall. In spring, when new growth appears, cut back the old growth to just above the new shoots. Thank you for also inspiring me today. Chopsticks would also work, or slim branches from trees. Gloxinia (Sinningia speciosa) has oblong fuzzy leaves, large velvety bell- shaped flowers with ruffled edges.This tender tuberous perennial is a member of the Gesneriaceae family, a relative of the African Violet. I am tossing old stems, leaves and roots to my compost pile. http://www.tulane.edu/~bfleury/envirobio/enviroweb/DeadZone.htm. I have several geraniums, some from my mother who passed away in 1995. This works fairly well–sometimes–but your method sounds even better. Kevin, your blog helps satisfy the propagation freak in me….thanks for the great tips…now I just need a south facing mansion for all my pots. If I sound sappy, I’ll attribute that to a rainy afternoon and some good chardonnay. I have kept them alive, but they are not very attractive. . I just pulled my two plants inside for the winter and they’ve recently started growing abundantly, but I’d like to take cuttings (to make more plants! I guess that’s it. Now I know what my poor geraniums need. The plant will pop right out of its pot, and into your waiting hand. I have an ivy leaf geranium that I would like to try to propagate over the winter as you describe. Your winter window is an eye-popper and must give you great pleasure in the cold months. Pansies and violas now come in dozens of colors, color combinations, bloom sizes, … Out of those, I would guess that I had 20+ that made it. I stumbled upon your website while searching for window garden information. Can you add me to your list? Hope the soufflés are as yummy as they looked in your video! Now I allow new growth. . I carefully shake the old soil off the roots, and plant them in a 1 gallon pot or larger if necessary. Admiring the time and effort youu put into youur website and detailed information you provide. A Hummingbird Moth! I had a quick question that I’d like to ask if you don’t mind. Looking forward to giving it a try. Do you see any dead or rotting stems? For potted cuttings of many types, I rely on vented plastic bags, positioned as humidity domes. My geraniums bloom from May to October (or later). I have in the past suffered with little gnats on my houseplants during winter. Hi Betty819 – You can start the cuttings in plastic or clay. However, taller varieties should be cut back by a third in September to reduce the risk of wind damage. Don’t miss anything at A Garden for the House…sign up for Kevin’s weekly updates. Insert a pencil in the center of the soil, to a depth which approximates the length of your cutting. This is the first year I haven’t killed mine. You can also steep the leaves in full-fat milk, and then use the milk to make scented icing for cakes and cupcakes. She was the oldest daughter of John Dandridge (1700–1756), a Virginia planter and immigrant from England, by his wife Frances Jones (1710–1785), who was of American birth and English, Welsh, and French descent.Martha had three brothers and four sisters: John (1733–1749), William (1734–1776), Bartholom… You will probably discover the plant is horribly root-bound. Kevin, I have been growing geraniums for years now here in SE Colorado out on the plains. So, your lesson on doing it right makes a big difference. Based on gender, 51.5% are female and 48.5% are male. Thank you again, I still shy away from putting my slips in soil. Thanks for the tutorial. I really want to keep them going through the winter, a problem in the past, and it is always nice to have young plants coming on as well. This will help me stay happy till spring. The window garden subjects are fed at the rate of one 1/4 teaspoon formula per gallon of water. Hi Sanna – Thanks for writing. Here, it recently attracted a hummingbird moth. Course the chickens don’t mind playing “rugby” with them. Vancouver Island. I try to water all my plants every Sunday. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!! The leaf is not in good shape, but when I gently pull on it, it seems to be stuck well in the soil, as if it has roots. Thank you! Minimal flowering is ok as long as the plant lives. Today I took the lanky non blooming geraniums and cut them back and by cutting the roots knew this was going to make the best geraniums for my south facing windows this winter. The medium sized knife I use in the garden was removed from a parolee arrested by my husband many years ago. I am going to share some with friends on Valentine’s Day. I’ll try to keep posting progress of butchered geraniums. I have over-wintered geraniums with great success. Thanks so much for the steps by step propagation method for geraniums, Kevin. Ha! This knife had a secret compartment hidden in the handle, presumably to hold contraband of some sort. Sadly, these are becoming rare lately, so propagating them is the only way to guarantee that you will have them from year to year. Thank you so much. I will be using your site again and again! However, I do NOW and I have all sorts of plants I bought this year that will be donating cuttings for attempt #2! Hi Venkat — I can’t say for sure, but your winter temperatures are probably not cold enough for these alliums. This time I am trying your method, cutting the root ball in half and rejuvenating the the old uglies. Kevin you are so wonderful to keep this blog. Thank you Kevin for the tips on how to do geraniums these are my favourite plant & I have one which is called Rose Geranium – it is white with pink frilly edges it looks like tiny rose buds just beautiful – I hope I can keep it over the because this one is hard to come by. I have tried rooting geraniums in the past with mixed success. Cut these off. Hi Mary Elia – You are indeed correct. I’m very But not enough that will drain off and run into the ocean. I trim them well and remove any obviously dead shoots. Love your blog, Kevin. Have fun with your project! I tried this process at it works so well; my geraniums are beautiful, in flower and looking very healthy. I have these in pots in an east window and water them once per week. Thank you so much for your wonderful information. Do you think the clay pots hold the moisture better than plastic? Play as much as possible! The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place A Midwest girl transplanted to the Pacific NW many years ago. I’ll be doing this again, for sure! A WONDERFUL source of scented geraniums is Well-Sweep Herb Farm in Port Murray, New Jersey. How to grow a gloxinia plant. I constantly make new plants from these. Required fields are marked *. Never realized you could scent milk for baking with scented geraniums!! Thanks for refreshing my memory. Thanks again. Well. We recommend chilling the bulbs in a refrigerator and then planting them into the garden to bloom. Now center the plant in its pot. Plants delivered to your door with easy care instructions. I have not fertilized. As always, your words are the sunshine of my life. I’m gonna give this a go this year. If you browse the houseplants category on this website, you’ll find pictures of scented-leaved and big-flowered geraniums displayed in my various winter window gardens over the years. Great read! By April I gradually move them outdoors, but avoid direct sunlight. Both genera belong to the family Geraniaceae. FEATURE — As you pack away the garden hose, tools and other supplies or transition to your winter garden, do not overlook those leftover seeds. HI Ruth – Sounds like you’re becoming a geranium-rejuvenating pro! Well, each of these can become a new plant. They can NOT handle frost. I have been looking all over the internet and stumbled across your blog. You get WAY more lumens of light for much less electricity. Very enlightening and inspiring. A Senior Human Nearly Ready for the Compost Pile Herself. Thanks for your prompt reply. I start at the end of September or up to mid October, removing my geraniums from their large planter pots or from the garden. I am keeping this great advice for future reference and passing it on to friends. (Seattle.) Such a simple plant and yet they are so generous with their beauty. Was it like Dorothy opening the door in The Wizard of Oz or what?? Will be trying your suggestions. They will bloom all winter if kept in a sunny window. I try to buy new geraniums each summer if I see an unusual one to replenish my stock, but I have my old favorites. My husband is thrilled as am I. plus soaking them every few weeks. Each year about half of them bear fruit and half don't. I have used the winter prep you describe on geraniums for years. If I cut them back do I necessairly need to cut the roots? Hi Tris – Yep, let the petunias root outdoors in a bright but sunless location. Thank you, Kevin, for sharing. not now You can keep your beautiful snow in the Hudson valley . Hi Kevin, I increase the food to one 1/2 teaspoon for the window garden plants, because they receive such long hours of light. I may have to try this!! All my little geraniums are lined up on my dining room windowsill, and doing well. Your idea of rooting what you “pinch” off is even better in that you will end up with more flowers. I just thought I’d share a few sources of scented pelargoniums (geraniums) I’ve ordered from scentedgeraniumsofne.com in the past with good success. Yesterday we saw a strange bug on our roses and my husband thought it was a strange variety of Hummingbird. Or “thumb,” if you are holding a camera while you work. Scroll down through the catalog to Pelargoniums – Scented Geraniums, and prepare to be AMAZED. I just a,few minutes ago planted it in a 4″ pot. The MGABC assumes no responsibility for its accuracy, or that it will remain current at all times. I lived in Ireland for 2 years and these sun rooms had loads of vines etc. Good luck with your geraniums! I am looking forward to using these steps mid august. for me i don’t think all thats necessary to do. I have lots of 4 in. We hope to have a plant window added over the kitchen sink in our home before Thanksgiving, I’m so excited!