The seed benefits from a period of cold treatment but even without it, germination rates of over 70 percent have been documented. Its form is rounded, with dense branches. This tree or bush bears edible fruit and is a nitrogen fixer. Native to Asia, Eleagnus umbellata goes by the common names of autumn olive and, more generously, “autumn berry”. Still there are no laws that I know of preventing a person from stopping and eating the berries. At Sugar Creek Farm, where we took a class last spring, farmer Joe Allawos has experimented with the benefits of the nitrogen fixing capacity of autumn olive trees by planting fruit and nut trees next to autumn olive trees, and at the same time planting the same variety of tree in a spot away from any autumn olive trees. It is a little sour, with some trees being sweeter than others, and it does sweeten as it matures. The ripe berries from mature trees make awesome jelly for the pantry. Edible parts of Autumn Olive: Fruit - raw or cooked. They make very good preserves like autumn olive fruit leather and jam. AUTUMN OLIVE: MEDICINAL BENEFITS AND USES OF AUTUMN OLIVE AUTUMN OLIVE, ELAEAGNUS UMBELLATA. The fruit leather and jam in my opinion is top quality and taste, just as good if not better then common flavors like grape and strawberry. Autumn olive jam is my favorite recipe, as it mellows out any lingering astringency and tartness and makes a gorgeous bright pink jam. We've grown Autumn Olive for 30 years and in all that time have observed two volunteer plants. This “nuisance” can actually revive the ecosystem by inserting key nutrients back into the soil. Autumn Olive is a deciduous shrub that can grow quite tall. This shrub is native to Asia and was introduced into the U.S. in the 1830's. Birds love the berries, but the big problem is that unchecked, the plant completely takes over areas and crowds out all native plants. Reinforcement like yours goes a long way. The autumn olive tree is a member of the Oleaster family of plants, and is native to Asia including the Himalayan region, Pakistan, Afghanistan, India, northern China and Japan. We can become the natural predator. If we rely on marketers to point out what is of value, we’ll miss much of the natural world and its intrinsic benefits. Conservation districts saw the benefits of autumn olive. Health Benefits of Autumn Olive The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of MLive Media Group, You are viewing this article in the AnnArbor.com archives. The lycopene content in Autumn olive is even higher than that of tomatoes. Not only is the fruit abundant and easy to find, the tree is an invasive species that is being actively removed from our landscape. Autumn Olive may be hated, and maybe some of that hatred is warranted, but the reality is that this plant is here now, and probably here to stay. More, and more frequent articles would be excellent. Here is another plant in my series on Nutraceuticals meaning the combination of "nutrition" and "pharmaceutical". Autumn Olive was so widely planted on mine reclamation sites in the mid-20th century that it has extensively naturalized in some regions. Like other invasive s… The most common fact you will read about autumn olive is that it contains 5 to 15 times more antioxidant lycopene than in tomatoes. ), XXVI International Horticultural Congress: Berry Crop Breeding, Production and Utilization for a New Century (Acta Horticulturae No. Autumn Olive Tree Facts and Propagation. The autumn olive shrub is easy to identify when it is in flower or once the fruits have matured. See our privacy policy for more information about ads on this site. Autumn Olive, as pointed out, is a highly invasive, non-native plant. There is great value in many of the wild (and escaped) plants around us. Numerous techniques exist for applying herbicides. I was doing a bioassessment for the Huron River Watershed Council. I've made the correction in the post, and will try and figure out how I made the original error. They contain an estimated 18 times more lycopene than tomatoes , an antioxidant celebrated for its anti-cancer benefits and role in prostate health. Autumn olive berries have 17 times more lycopene than tomatoes! Among the health benefits of olive leaves tea, you should also aware of its possible side effect. Certainly a partial solution is to eat as many berries as possible, don’t replant it, and let it help you to be healthier. Well written and important material - keep it up. For me,blogging is a strange experience of putting myself out there and hoping someone gets it. Autumn olive: a potential alternative crop In: J. Maas (Ed. 626, pp. And also because the boiling process kills the seeds, preventing propagation of this invasive plant. Though the berries themselves are small (approximately the size of a red currant), the trees on which they grow are a giant problem. In a time when most people know nothing about where there food comes from,and even a growing a garden seems to be just another opportunity for consumption (designer garden gloves! Not only is the fruit abundant and easy to find, the tree is an invasive species that is being actively removed from our landscape. Autumn olives are fast collecting fans for the fruit's sweet-tart taste and potential health benefits, even as the plant is frowned upon throughout the Northeast as a habitat-killer. Autumn olive is a deciduous shrub or small tree growing up to 6 m (20 ft) in height and 9 m (30 ft) in width. Autumn Olive’s abundant fruit production, ability to propagate in many soil types, and avian seed dispersal allowed the plant to grow so densely that is shaded out native species. Now of course… this information goes against everything we’ve ever been told about autumn olive, and if you’re unfamiliar with this plant, here’s a brief backstory. Autumn olive is well established across the Mid-Atlantic due to its extensive intentional planting to provide wildlife food and revegetate mine spoils in the mid-1900s. The berries contain high amounts of carotenoids and lycopene, a bit higher than tomatoes, which studies have shown to help prevent prostate cancer, lung cancer, breast cancer, and fight myocardial infarction. Like many other wild edibles it also is being studied as a treatment to halt or reverse the progress of cancer. Pre-registration is suggested, but not required. The recommended intake to have the health benefits of olive leaves tea is three cups of tea daily. Olive leaves tea is … Autumn Olive has a high fatty acid content which is not common in fruits. enabling more people to just eat what is there is a simple connection to nature. Mugwort, an Age-Old Herb that Uncovers Our Herbal History, Common Reed (Phragmites), an Age Old Sweet Treat, Wild Parsnip, Flagrant Foilage but a Tasty Taproot, Eastern Prickly Pear, Hardy Spines Hiding a Sweet Treat, Evening Primrose, a Nutritious and Medicinal Garden Favorite, Waterlily, a Decorative and Nutritious Wild Edible, Yellow Pond Lily, Cheerful Blooms and Popcorn like Snacks, American Lotus, Fun to Forage and Highly Nutritious, Watercress, a Peppery Wild Edible with Informed Foraging, Mulberry, Wild Sweet Fruits and Favored in the Silk Industry, Chamomile: Just a tinge brightens up your day. feel free to email me anytime at eattheplanet.org@gmail.com. Autumn olive is a great edible wild berry for jam, because it’s nice and tart. Autumn Olive is a great fall foraging plant. They are best used for recipes like pie. Maturing in September or October, Autumn Berries are a significant source of lycopene. What can you do with the fruit? A colleague did the analysis on what sounds like a combination of observation, a guess and a whim. Autumn olive is easily seen in the spring since it leafs out when most other native vegetation is still dormant. Before it was labeled a noxious weed, autumn olive was often described as “fragrant” in flower, and as “stunning” in fall, with its bright red berries against its silvery foliage. The fruit must be fully ripe before it can be enjoyed raw, if even slightly under-ripe it will be quite astringent. Autumn olive benefits the land. Many times people are unaware of the medicinal uses of any plant. Need more evidence? Autumn Olive is loaded with vitamins and minerals including sugars, proteins, Vitamins A, C, and E, flavanoids, and others. But the ethical action then is to remove and safely discard the seeds and don't contribute to the spread of the plant in any way.