Owner Georgia Miles welcomes me into the light and airy studio with its muted colour palette and spacious work tables. Gently Shake Off the Potting Mix Georgia had already prepared the pots with the wooden ‘trunk’ in place, so my first job is to soak a (much smaller than expected!) It’s an ambitious project, but the skills are simple: shaping chicken wire into a cone, filling it with dampened sphagnum moss and placing it in your favorite planter. Take a look at the Creative Workshops category in our Directory, where you’ll find a variety of inspiring courses, from art and crafts to fashion and beauty, interiors, cooking and flower & gardening. I feel it needs a little more contrast so I add a few purple blooms to brighten things up a little. This succulent topiary was created by the designers at Rambo Nursery, an exclusive grower for The Home Depot. If you're looking for potting soil, succulents and more, The Home Depot delivers online orders when and where you need them. Topiary is the art of trimming and training shrubs or trees into ornamental shapes. To make sure it was stable, I glued around the hole to prevent the tree from leaning. The finished tree is about 14 inches high and 7 inches in diameter. Topiary trees have developed and clearly defined shapes. I decided to make my own faux tree topiary, and I think the results were just as good as the ones I see in stores for $50 plus. Started from a spindly specimen, it has grown into a beauty. The classic shape people are often after when they think of topiary is a ball on a stick. Fold back cut edges. Add rows from the bottom up, and create vertical “ribbons” with a special color or texture. How To Create a Rosemary Tree Topiary Step 1: Find the Form. Today’s craft idea will make you question what you’ve always known, “Money Doesn’t Grow On Trees”… cause maybe it does here in the craft world of gift-giving… enter the Money Topiary: This is a sponsored post, but all opinions are my own – and my opinion is that this craft is awesome! I have a feeling I’ll be making a return trip! YES you can. The finishing touch is to add a ribbon to complete the look, and I choose a vintage cotton tape in a purple-grey shade which works well with the purple flowers and grey pot, wrapping it around the trunk like a may pole. Here is an easy way to make your own DIY topiary tree. Use floral pins to secure the plants in place. The key to creating a well-balanced grouping of tabletop topiaries is to ensure a proper mix of heights. Here’s the topiary definition: I made this topiary this weekend and want to shout it from the rooftops. I decide to keep my wreath simple with contrasting purple and mint green and a touch of white. These smaller succulents are an ideal filler for this project. Topiaries are bushes and small trees clipped into an ornamental shape. Our first project is to be a topiary tree – something I’ve always wanted to learn to make. DIY topiaries are the perfect home decor accent for any room in your home. Use floral pins to secure the plants in place. Embellish & Enjoy Read our DISCOVER, MAKE and MEET blog features to find inspiration and creative ideas. Visit the Sussex Flower School listing to connect and get all the information you need >>. Need Help? Fill the planter with foam or other material sturdy enough to support the topiary. For example, you can grow and train a rosemary plant into a formal standard (the top is shaped into a perfect globe that is held on a single stem). Nothing can make your front door look more “put together” than having these trees in matching containers on either side of your entryway. This is a fun one! If you like the look of DIY Outdoor Topiary Trees without the high price tag, here I show you how to make topiary trees out of … ball of oasis foam in water and attach it to the wooden tree trunk using floral tape and a wooden skewer. Please call us at: 1-800-HOME-DEPOT (1-800-466-3337), Please enter in your email address in the following format: you@domain.com. I used this as the base for the topiary. Turning a bay tree into that shape requires selection of the correct plant in the first instance. Project 1: Topiary tree. But first—let’s start with what a topiary even is. Lunch is delivered by an outside caterer and is absolutely delicious – a wonderful homemade asparagus quiche, with pea shoot salad and grilled courgettes, followed by homemade cheesecake and berries. From my experience, they are always pretty expensive-- far more than I can justify for a faux tree. Pruned Topiary. All in all, this is a wonderful way to spend a day, whether you’re thinking of changing career or simply want some handy tips up your sleeve for creating impactful arrangements for your home. I am so pleased with the finished result and delighted to take it home with me at the end of the day. Try a tulip by bending the ends of the hanger up and pulling the center up as well. Next I add some moss to the base of the pot, pressing it into place to cover the concrete which holds the wooden trunk in place. CREATING THE TREE. Create the Design and Pattern