Personally I’m a rainbow drop seat man but this one works nearly as well. It’s a small point but the addition of Velcro gives far greater versatility at little, if any, extra manufacturing cost. This is a very simple matter for them to rectify and, as mentioned earlier, single hand adjustability should be the default option. Filled with goose down, it keeps the penetrating cold out. Balancing warmth, weight and durability, the Expedition Suit … Well positioned internal pockets. Outer pockets mean you don’t have to open the front of your suit and lose precious warmth whereas internal pockets are good for keeping things warm that need to be protected from the cold. Similar to the Mountain Hardwear suit this also features a 6 zipper rainbow drop seat which is zipped all the way from the ankle so not only is it great for toilet access but also for venting off in warmer conditions. The one pull adjustment for the front of the hood was very fiddly and didn’t pull through very easily. As with the Rab and TNF suits this impressed straight out of the box. More pockets & better side ventilation would be better. Some suits feature a rainbow or drop seat for toilet access and others have a vertical zipper that undoes all the way round to the coccyx. It will undoubtedly mean that you are an inconvenience to the others in the tent and, psychologically, it will have you in a tizz and annoyed at yourself, which is not the right frame of mind for you to be in. Of all the suits that I tried this is the only one that I would categorically say ‘Do Not Buy this product‘. Verdict $700.00 USD. ‘Up and under’ style toilet access. which works extremely well. See below for the latest update on the Mountain Hardwear suit and above for the latest PhD suit. Available in various colours. It’s difficult enough as it is without losing extra dexterity. All the zippers have oversized zip pulls for ease of use with mitts on. And the rainbow drop seat is excellent There’s not a huge imposing amount of it but this stuff is so highly reflective that in an emergency situation, or a night search scenario, the wearer will stand a far better chance of being discovered. One thing I found to be a big potential drawback was that the internal braces are not removable. It was also difficult to locate and once cinched there’s a lot of elastic with a small toggle on the end flying around in windy conditions – a better option is to have the elastic stitched back in to a seam to prevent this problem. A great robust feel and a lot of attention to detail. This is quite a serious issue and could render a suit worse than useless in the wrong conditions. Indeed I’d be concerned that if it is detachable that it could start to come undone in the windiest conditions – particularly if it hadn’t quite been poppered / velcroed / zipped back on fully. Balancing warmth, weight and durability, the Expedition Suit is built to defend against the earth’s worst conditions. Features. There’s no outer zip baffle so, as with the Rab suit, the zipper is directly exposed to the wind and will get frozen with the dripping condensation from your mask. It’s a small point but the addition of Velcro gives far greater versatility at little, if any, extra manufacturing cost. Note that it is not the cheapest …. Marmot 8,000m Suit– 1,845g – rrp £800 S, M, L, XL, 2XL. We have sold MORE OF THESE BOOTS THAN ANYONE ON THE PLANET!!!! venting options on the thighs $700.00 USD. There’s also a radio mic attachment point which some may view as being useful. Indeed all 3 items together not only weigh much less than any of the other suits or combos but they also take up much less space. You will feel little, if any, difference in the comfort of a shop or your own living room, but at ultra high altitude it is a bit late to be finding things like this out. Other than the front zip the only other ventilation is a one way thigh zipper from the hip to the knee which gets compromised as soon as a harness is worn. $90.00 USD. warmer’ position instead. I could always buy some Velcro and attach it myself … but for £800 surely, in the 21st century, this should be done by the manufacturer? Personally I’d shelve that in favour of better features elsewhere. That’s probably why they don’t need to be selling retail. The only thing(s) that you are going to have inside your suit are things that need protecting from the cold are a couple of ½ litre water bottles, a camera, a small tube of non freezing sun cream and a radio if you’ve got one. Similar to the Mountain Hardwear suit this also features a 6 zipper rainbow drop seat which is zipped all the way from the ankle so not only is it great for toilet access but also for venting off in warmer conditions. 8 / 10 for toilet access. This would be much better if it was just a single piece of elastic looped through rather than having 2 separate adjusters (see the Mountain Hardwear set up). Don Whillans and Pete Hutchinson designed and tested the first suits way back in the 50s – Don, a plumber by trade, wanted a boiler suit … The thigh pockets, the 6 way leg zippers and the hobo mitt – all good features. Lots of good features Down filled one piece suit with Pertex® Endurance outer. 9 / 10 Climb Everest with 6 times Everest summiteer Tim Mosedale, Climb Mount Everest By The South Col Route. A great thumb loop and cuff along but The waist adjustment would be better if the toggle was attached to the suit making it a one handed adjustment. These need to be moved. Everest. Expensive but well thought out in most respects (hobo mitts, access to the inside though the outer pocket) but not all aspects (non removable internal braces – what is the point?). Absolutely rubbish suspenders. I don’t mean that in the sense that I might want to take them off entirely but what it does mean is that if you step through the braces whilst getting ready in your tent at night you have to remove most of the suit to rectify the problem – which isn’t versatile. But for the time being, steer clear. Vernachio brought a diverse team from Mountain Hardwear to experience base camp. ASK OTHERS IF they REALLY have any!! Well positioned internal pockets. When I received an e mail stating that PH Designs had ‘revolutionised the down suit’ I must admit that I was somewhat sceptical. I’m a definite fan of outer pockets of the ‘hand warmer’ variety rather than the ‘Napoleon’ variety. As a first effort at a GCSE in design it is only just ok, and hopefully ME will build on this suit and bring it in to line with the others. The internal braces should be detachable from their front attachment loops so that, if you have inadvertently step through one of the straps and only discover this as you are pulling the top up, then you don’t have to strip right back down again. Comments Posts . There’s a pouch in the inside back of the suit for a hydration pack and a sleeve to hold the drinks tube in place. Return to Everest. Thinner Jackets. restricts access which, in turn, Build to withstand the harshest conditions atop the world’s highest peaks. Yuichiro Miura became the first man to ski down Everest in the 1970s. This opening also gives access to a vertically zipped pocket on the inside left of the suit. I typed this phrase into Google countless times in the weeks before embarking on my very own Everest Base Camp trek, and was met with tons of information from all types of hikers..