It is released as part of KDE Plasma 5 for which it is the default window manager. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Doesn't seem to be consistently reproducible though. @tflori: I have noticed that you do actually use the patch modified to remove tiles on your own fork/branch. "Tile Now" just sets them once. So with the "remove empty tiles" method I expect the wm_class would be jetbrains_phpstorm but I'm not sure. It does not attempt to eventually remove empty tiles, because I believe there are none. I never reload the script and the bug happens periodically. And if we could figure out which tile to close without the user manually selecting it, we could also just solve the issue. Unfortunately, closing all windows and reopening them doesn't even fix it. I created this issue as a place to gather any and all relevant information in case someone encounter such a behavior. It probably explains why @piotr-dobrogost was having the same problem with google chrome dev tools, the dev tools window was probably being started minimized and having a tile created. Could you please elaborate? I use kwin-tiling and it checks some boxes. Description: Tiling script for kwin, featuring: - Four layouts, all mouse-resizable - One layout with the option to set multiple "master" windows ("M-S-+" to increment, "M-S--" to decrement) - The option to deactivate tiling per-desktop via keybinding - A configuration menu for floating windows (by class) Close a window opened after re-enabling kwin-tiling. I've been trying to find something that can easily switch between tiling mode and floating mode and that has (or can have) gaps enabled. What applications are you using when this occurs? 9.0. KWin is a window manager for the X Window System and also becoming a Wayland compositor. because it's fullscreen - that can change, so we still connect some signals). Click with your right mouse button on a window decoration or use System Settings to access the new and easier configuration of KWin. Yes, I have it; I'm actually on Arch and have installed from AUR (kwin-scripts-tiling-git which seems will always install from current HEAD; but just to confirm I checked what I have in /usr/share/kwin/scripts/kwin-script-tiling/contents/code/tilingmanager.js and the code is there). Windows will be kind of half-registered in the eyes of kwin-tiling if they existed when the script was enabled (possibly visiting kwin-tiling options could trigger this, if the script is re-loaded; I'm not sure how it handles visiting settings currently). How does tiling handle window lifecycle? When a window is minimized, closed or the user sets it to floating, we remove the tile. Personally, I can't reproduce your problem. 7.8. Sign in Yes, we could implement a workaround if stuff ever got out of sync. 9 comments There's something I'm missing, and I can't find it. Nope, the script gets absolutely no notification of that, or changing options (there's supposed to be a signal for that, but AFAICT it never worked properly). We use optional third-party analytics cookies to understand how you use GitHub.com so we can build better products. kwin blur linux unix. Those are global variables that kwin is supposed to define for us, but it seems that when enabling a script that doesn't happen. Yesterday and this morning I had the problem within 10-20 minute, I've now gone about 2 hours without seeing the problem. HashTWM — Tiling window manager with automatic tiling. Already on GitHub? It adds Meta + Shift + Esc action which dumps all tiled clients into the log. In contents/code/tiling.js, Tiling.prototype._updateAllTiles, add after this.resizeScreen();: Then update the script. You can always update your selection by clicking Cookie Preferences at the bottom of the page. I am not sure what you mean when you talk about „snap“ and „unsnap“. Currently the only way for a user to invoke corner-tiling is to manually set shortcuts for them. DWM-like window tiling Dynamically tile windows, rather than manually placing each. It happened a few times one day and AFAIR it had something to do with Chrome's Developer Tools window which I was switching back and forth to be either embedded in the Chrome's window or to be standalone (detached). No. Open more windows in a desktop you had opened some previously, things should work as expected (new window will be tiled among / with the old ones). This solution is intended to be an easy-to-use middleground between the default behaviour and the tiling approach. Disable kwin-tiling in system settings (remember to click "apply"). I mean we are not really interested in all clients but in clients of our tiles. This used to happen with the steam update dialog, which sets window type to normal. We use optional third-party analytics cookies to understand how you use GitHub.com so we can build better products. A kwin script that automatically tiles windows Source on Github 626 Stars 37 Forks Last release: Not found GNU General Public License v3.0 274 Commits 0 Releases And it only happens on my second screen. Cookies help us deliver our Services. For what it's worth, I've been using this for a couple of weeks now and never had this problem until adding a second monitor yesterday. Press J to jump to the feed. Goals: The purpose of this is to create a user-friendly tiling solution that. A dynamic tiling extension for KWin. Instead of showing you icons or very small previews of your applications, it arranges them in a grid so you can quickly choose the right one. Do we have tile→window mapping? As a result there's free space for such windows left in the layout which should instead be occupied by other, existing windows. It's just for debugging anyway :). That would work well, but marking e.g. So either you don't have that commit - in which case the script breaking with existing clients is unavoidable, or you do have it and there's something wrong. Yeah, I have no idea how to reproduce this, so I'm closing. kwin-tiling by faho - Tiling script for kwin. possibly visiting kwin-tiling options could trigger this, if the script is re-loaded; I'm not sure how it handles visiting settings currently. Could it be something to do with the window being started initially on primary display? KDE is an international and diverse technology team creating user-friendly free and open source software for desktop and portable computing. Intrigued ? I will let you know if happens again and try to find a way of consistently replicating it. I had a commit that ignores unresizeable clients, but I had to revert it because that can be a temporary thing. There's assumption that we get closed signal when the app crashes, yes? However, IFAICT disabling and enabling "resets" the script; the problem here is that it does not properly register old windows, which means you still need to close all windows before re-enabling, which is certainly not optimal (you need to re-open evrything manually). Are there any windows involved that just appear for a split second or so? Resizing the tile helps with this. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Ok, I figured out one way to reproduce this and possibly the only reason I've (personally) triggered this bug. I was just thinking of some way to reset the state so that people would know how to get out of trouble in case tiling misbehaves in any way. Successfully merging a pull request may close this issue. KWin is the default window manager (WM) in Plasma and has lot of features, but it only supports floating windows. With a single screen the tiling works perfectly. Thanks to the simple tiling layouts and mouse-driven controls. KWin can be configured by scripting using QML or QtScript, both of which are based on ECMAScript. Is there any way to display or even log to a file the contents of this.tiles each time it changes? Because even if we don't get a list of clients we have a list of tiles and they have a property to their client. In any case, I presume this needs to be fixed before it makes sense to implement a reset feature, since it could not possibly work properly in the current state. A window can be added to multiple groups at the same time, and windows from different groups can be shown together or... 5.0 What I'm looking for is something where you can have small floating windows, snap them to large tiled ones when you need to maximize space and then "unsnap" back to the small floating windows when you're done. Alternatively, can kwin scripts read each others variables? Being able to very quickly split your screen and be able to see information side-by-side, like writing a post and having my collection of pictures beside it is incredibly useful and a productivity enhancer. The name of the script is from mineral Kröhnkite; it starts with K and looks cool. Look at khronkite. privacy statement. Would it be a massive overhead to run an error-check during each window change? Also I'm using multiple monitors and AFAIR I was switching some windows between two screens at the time it happened (using Window To Next Screen KWin's keyboard shortcut). Tiling as KWin Script. I haven't seen any in the past year. By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and When tiling is deactivated on a desktop, we still keep track of what the geometries should be, we just don't set them. For LXQt, we recommend a minimum of 2GB of RAM.we use kwin tiling script by default. Btw, how does Tile now work? From some quick testing it seems noticeable when resizing. KDE's software runs on GNU/Linux, BSD and other operating systems, including Windows. It definitely also only happens with applications that spawn multiple windows. I use krohnkite and it's great. the layout logic or tilelist (the thing that reacts to clients starting and deciding whether they should be tiled or not) would require additional bindings. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. I'd like to just keep track of exactly what's going on within the script. Iterate over each tile and check there's actually a window in it. When a window gets created, kwin sends the "workspace.clientAdded" signal. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails. I absolutely cannot reproduce this. Using The Tiling Window Extension The Kwin Tiling Extension is refreshingly simple to use, and most tiling is done automatically. @laloch not yet. But the more important thing is to fix this bug, and I'm reasonably certain that there's not that many cases where we fail. Yes. It depends on how you look at this. This window cannot be resized but it get's a tile (it's like a floating window but the space of a tile is empty). Have you seen it to delete any empty tiles yet? It seems in some circumstances tiling is loosing track of windows which do not exist anymore. If yes then how about iterating through all tiles and checking if the window still exists and deleting tiles without window? We listen for that and check if the window is tileable, completely untileable or temporarily untileable (e.g. I had actually assumed I had eliminated all related bugs, damn. When a window gets created, kwin sends the "workspace.clientAdded" signal. I've been trying to find something that can easily switch between tiling mode and floating mode and that has (or can have) gaps enabled. It behaves like if workspace.clientAdded would not fire at all. You can for example use the Present Windows as the effect for window switching. Have a question about this project? I'm trying to replicate and debug this. Millions of developers and companies build, ship, and maintain their software on GitHub — the largest and most advanced development platform in the world. bug.n — Amongst other flavours is a dynamic, tiling window manager, which tries to clone the functionality of dwm. Are there any global kwin script variables that could be set by kwin tiling and then read in wm console? Important: in order to see the button to configure the kwin script, check the troubleshooting section of the readme. Garuda LXQT-Kwin LXQt is a lightweight Qt desktop environment that does not get in your way. In my short time of using a tiling window manager, I very quickly became aware of the benefits of quick tiling features on the desktop. Toggle navigation RecordNotFound. One thing that might look like this is clients that can't actually be tiled (e.g. The built-in Microsoft Windows window manager has, since Windows 95, followed the traditional stacking approach by default. Sorry! Edit: to display the log journalctl -f /usr/bin/kwin_x11. I've had it happen on two different virtual desktops this morning alone. At least that would be a better workaround than logging in and out as I have to currently. We can't have a "fix tiling" binding because to fix tiling we'd have to get the list of clients again, which is in workspace. Plasma lets you use another window manager, such as i3, ... Tiling window managers may have problems with components like panels. We listen for that and check if the window is tileable, completely untileable or temporarily untileable (e.g. Anyway, until you figure out when this happens (and I haven't seen it in the past year), there's nothing we can do. mostly I get this errors with phpstorm (I guess any Jetbrains IDE will work). Kwin Scripts by wsdfhjxc This is a script that provides a window grouping system, similar as in some window managers.Groups, as implemented in this script, are kind of a replacement for virtual desktops. Also, to understand specific features/bugs it's often helpful to have a greater picture and I'm trying to get one by asking these questions. Which KWin version are you running? Plus, since I can't actually reproduce this I have no idea if it even works. Is this a once-in-a-blue-moon freak accident or once per boot or every five minutes? To change the tile layout, hold the Windows key … For more information, see our Privacy Statement. When I last tried (QML should allow that), I didn't even manage to draw a simple rectangle. When I tried to manually move the window, a new tile was created for it. Kwin Scripts by nopaste Expose useful shortcuts to manage windows in a ultrawide monitor and, in general, in a high resolution monitor. Force-enable blur effect for user-specified windows. Grid-Tiling: *Increase/Decrease* Size using a step size of dividerStep minimization of clients (suppports the default KWin shortcuts) minimizes all other clients or unminimizes all clients on the current desktop Grid-Tiling: Minimize Others/Unminimize Desktop From a submission made this morning, tiling support is being stripped out of KDE's KWin. Kwin Scripts by wsdfhjxc This is a script that provides a window grouping system, similar as in some window managers.Groups, as implemented in this script, are kind of a replacement for virtual desktops. Or the kwin script responds to newly created windows but doesn't anticipate that one of them may be minimized. yesterday I tried to reproduce it again but it worked fine. As you open up different programs, Kwin should automatically tile and organize them. It just didn't work. I've also never had the issue on the primary display. Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community. I am getting this, but only after adding a second screen. Okay, with kwin_x11 --replace running in a terminal, I get, tilelist.js:78: ReferenceError: options is not defined, If I remove that use of "options", I get other fun stuff like, tilelist.js:378: ReferenceError: KWin is not defined, tilingmanager.js:812: ReferenceError: workspace is not defined. Strangely I've not had the problem since I posted that. Nell'ambito dell'informatica, KWin è un compositing window manager scritto in C++ per il sistema grafico X Window System. You can now use tab to switc… I managed to trigger it twice but I can't seem to do it again! Learn more, We use analytics cookies to understand how you use our websites so we can make them better, e.g. It can also act as a rudimentary tiling window manager. Looking for a tiling kwin script.. mark a tile to be debugged. My use case this time was x2goclient. Main window: Works perfectly, when the client window was opened it cause the phantom window bug. Btw. (That's a single tab, creating a new window). Btw, is there a way to reset state of tiling completely when this happens? Being able to reliably reproduce a bug is essential to start thinking about fixing it and I'm well aware of this. No. Seems to be sublime text 3 which consistently triggers it for me. Here you can enable effects to more efficiently manage your windows. As for the rest, I think we've gotten off track a bit here. As soon as I tried to move it, it was correctly positioned inside a tile. Easy tiling script for KWin. Features. The idea behind this task is to reimplement the tiling functionality as a KWin Script. I have phantom windows at least once a day and restarting kwin every time is a bit annoying. because they can't be resized) but still have a tile prepared for them. In other words: It's an upstream issue. kwin script tiling linux unix. Just use the Alt-Tab keysequence and keep the Alt key pressed. Optional: you can close and open as many windows and as many times as you like, and see that tiling works as expected, as long as you do not close (all of) the windows you have opened! I didn't want to imply we have to create some workaround for this specific case. As for the rest, I think we've gotten off track a bit here. because it's fullscreen - … KWin provides window tiling which is hardly maintained and unknown to the core KWin team. It would be nice if there was a feature that allowed resetting, have the script scan all windows and re-tile them. 3. Kwin Scripts by esjeon A dynamic tiling extension for KWin.Kröhnkite is mainly inspired by dwm from suckless folks, and aims to be "simple" in both development and usage.Features------------ * DWM-like window tiling - Dynamically tile windows, rather than manually placing each. One needs to manually toggle tiling for each new window to make it work. Try grabbing a tile and yanking it around a bit. they're used to gather information about the pages you visit and how many clicks you need to accomplish a task. There was no other way (I could find) to fix it except logging in and out again. Yes, we could implement a workaround if stuff ever got out of sync. "Quarter Tiling" was the closest script I've found so far, however when you go from tiling mode to floating mode the windows keep the size and position they were in while tiled, meaning you have to manually adjust window sizes. This patch adds another option: invoke the existing shortcuts for edge tiling in a combined manner in quick succession. That post was 6 days ago, I haven't had it happen since then until now. Let me explain: Also, you can "fix" the gaps by disabling and re-enabling the script; but you need to close all windows (or, expect the old ones leave phantom windows if / when you close them). Although that helped in that instance, it has happened again. @WildPenquin: Do you have 2f4b9c8? Is restarting KWin a preferable way of resetting tiling script? Learn more. First build dumpstring, then print as one, Start an application which creates multiple windows (even multiple processes), Two applications 50/50 on the secondary monitor, Drag a single tab out of Chromium onto the secondary display. It looks like the tile was created correctly but something prevented the window being moved into position. Because for quite a while, there was a kwin bug that prevented us from adding preexisting clients, and that only recently reenabled it. to your account. For example, hitting Meta+Left and then Meta+Up within a two-second period will tile the active window into the top left corner. Written in C language, the i3wm ( i3 Windows Manager) is a lightweight, easy-to-configure, and hugely popular tiling windows manager.Unlike the conventional desktop environment, a tiling manager provides just sufficient functionality to arrange windows on your screen in an easy and appealing manner suited for your workflow. Quarter Tiling Kwin Scripts by Jazqa. I have just pushed "dump-clients" branch. Today's Posts; Mark Channels Read; Member List; Calendar; Forum; Software; Desktop Linux; If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. Under some circumstances, windows can get "stuck". And in that case there really is nothing the script can do. To figure out if compositing is enabled (which means we need to add clients differently) we need options. I wanted to display a tree-like structure, but I don't really care. Integrates well with KDE Plasma; Works for the general case; More sophisticated users may prefer dedicated tiling window managers. Its focus lays on being a lightweight, lagfree desktop with modern look and feel. I rebooted, I can't imagine that makes any difference, after updating the script previously I logged out and back in and it did seem to fix the issue with sublime text. Note that this output is currently a bit sparse - we mostly print errors (since there's also no way to mark anything as debug output so it'll be shown with lower priority). they're used to log you in. It is broken, it is happening on my system. Easy tiling script for KWin. Which seems like a fair assumption to make since KWin sends that signal. Easy tiling script for KWin. It certainly happens fairly frequently. KWin can also be used on its own or with other desktop environments. not "halflayout" have rusted a bit since the hotkeys to switch to them weren't working and that's my default)? The minimized one is given a tiling slot creating a gap. I've toyed with the idea of adding a keybinding to e.g. Another possibility though is that you're hitting "the pixmap issue" (which I've reported upstream, and I have some more workarounds in the pipeline). But the more important thing is to fix this bug, and I'm reasonably certain that there's not that many cases where we fail. How does tiling handle window lifecycle? Not sure if does everything you want but its a start. @laloch: Would it make more sense to build the string and then print() it as one multi-line string? This still should work as expected. As a bright side, this bug should not happen if you do not disable and re-enable (and possibly don't change settings) in kwin-tiling. Hopefully I will establish what these circumstances are and post more information here. Are there any global kwin script variables that could be set by kwin tiling and then read in wm console? Is there any way to display or even log to a file the contents of this.tiles each time it changes? It might be complicated to figure out how it happens but it would be a plan to have a shortcut (maybe on a separate branch?) That's fixed it for me. "Quarter Tiling" was the closest script I've found so far, however when you go from tiling mode to floating mode the windows keep the size and position they were in while tiled, meaning you have to manually adjust window sizes. edit: Alternatively, can kwin scripts read each others variables? KWin dynamic resizing and the first layout After a short break due to various other responsibilities and a general lack of clarity in planning some of the code, I've made progress and now you can resize windows while in tiling mode and watch all the others adjust themselves to fit the screen. Does something like that exist? This would also explain why this bug might happen for some and then disappear (since they would only experience this the very first time(s) they enable kwin-tiling while setting it up). Learn more. The only way kwin scripts have to output anything is the print function, which will end up in kwin's console output. Thanks to the simple tiling layouts and mouse-driven controls, the script should feel familiar to users with no prior experience with tiling window managers. I'm afraid it's not just that. Please do not feel obliged in any way to fix something which I'm not yet sure is broken and which I can't reliably reproduce. Define shortcut to switch tiling per window or all together, Add gaps between Windows and/or around the screen edge. to iterate over all tiles on the current monitor, check if the client is still "valid" and if not log what client it was (wm_class, or some other properties) and remove the tile.