It has specific medicinal properties that are unique from those of the other parts of the plant. Thanks for showing how to harvest them properly, no other websites I found were detailed enough for my amatureness , Excellent! I live in Tennessee. In warmer climates where the ground doesn’t freeze, you may be able to harvest in the winter as well. Care must be taken in harvesting because the leaves sting the skin and cause itching. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. I always think that the medicines we need most are the ones which are most abundant near where we live and in these stressed-out, sped-up times, for many of us nettle seed is no exception. How to sustainably harvest nettle roots. The benefits of nettle seeds have some overlap with those of the leaf, both being strengthening, mineral rich, great for skin and hair and for supporting the kidneys and urinary system. There are a lot of critters aren’t there! This amount of nettles filled an average size jar with dried seeds. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. Here are a few fresh ideas for preparing your spring harvest: Celebrate spring with a beautiful, green, delicately fresh Nettle Soup (in Swedish, Nässelsoppa). This versatile and popular herb has been utilized for centuries across the globe. But then someone told me they should be used sparingly, because they can cause hormonal upsets. This means they help the body handle stress... all kinds of stres s, by supporting adrenal function. Going to have to throw out ! We occasionally link to goods offered by vendors to help the reader find relevant products. ( Log Out /  Thanks for your help! All the nettles can be used for food and medicine. There always seem to be people who need them. As the whole seed or in tincture? We offer over 1350 heirloom varieties, www.rareseeds.com. Drain and refrigerate or use immediately. I have used nettles for a long time, but never the seeds. What’s Eating My Turnips? Stinging Nettle (Urtica Dioica) - Stinging Nettle is found growing all across North America and especially in moist, forested soil. ( Log Out /  Heather Buckner hails from amongst the glistening lakes of Minnesota, and now lives with her family on a beautiful homestead in the Vermont Mountains. Who knows, they might just come in handy one day! How do you make a tincture out of the seeds? We are located in Mansfield, Mo. They are so abundant right now and so helpful during these busy periods that it was a real pleasure to get out gathering them. COPYRIGHT © 2020 ASK THE EXPERTS LLC. , in case anybody is interested to see (some of the) nettle/flax/hemp seed bread making: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhT-TIy1buw. Harvesting Nettle. ( Log Out /  The best time to harvest nettles is in the early weeks of spring when the leaves are still tender. By the time you finish the third scrub, they should be totally clean and free of dirt. Thank you! It is covered with many small hairs that sting upon contact and are used as a defense mechanism to keep animals from eating it. That is, all species from the genus of urtica? Stinging nettles are one of those exceptional herbs for which all parts of the plant can be used. You can consume them fresh or dried. Possibly the easiest plant food to dry and save for later; jumping on the stinging nettle train Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. They help with the general stress response, they strengthen the adrenals, and they’re loaded with minerals and trace elements’. Your tips will make this a more pleasant, beneficial experience! To harvest nettle seed, I cut off the top third of each nettle and dry them on a sheet or brown paper in the sunshine, turning them occasionally until the leaves feel crisp. Or perhaps not. They are best harvested green and when the threads that hold them droop towards the stem; they are ready. Active Constituents - Nettle is a good source of vitamins A, C and E as well as B1, B2, B3 and B5. Wash leaves as soon after harvest as you can manage. Stinging nettle is a nutritious plant popular in herb gardens throughout the world. From Flower to Fruit and a Berry Nice Birthday! To learn more about growing, using, and harvesting stinging nettle leaves, check out this comprehensive guide. Thanks very much! Stinging It was shown to be more effective when combined with an extract of Pygeum africanum, the African cherry tree. The American Botanical Council concludes that “the approved modern therapeutic applications for stinging nettle herb, leaf, and root are supportable based on their history of clinical use in well-established systems of traditional medicine, on well documented phytochemical investigations, on pharmacological studies in animals, and on human clinical studies.”. https://whisperingearth.co.uk/2010/09/06/nettle-seeds-back-to-basics/, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhT-TIy1buw, 5 Minute Nettle Seed Energy Bars – green tea in bed, 4 Surprising Health Benefits of Stinging Nettle Seeds. Set up three large tubs of water, and place the roots in the first tub. As the druid is interviewed a stalk of nettle including the seeds are shown and I assume the bread uses nettle seeds as the base cereal. Protect the arms, too, with a thick shirt. You can start stinging nettle either from seed or from pulling up and transplanting a rooted stem. Most gardeners are familiar with stinging nettle (Urtica dioica), an herbaceous perennial known for the infamous stinging hairs that can be found all along its stems and the undersides of its leaves. Female plant It is best not to harvest stinging nettle once the seeds form. I cant wait to try the seeds,love the leaves in tea, hopefully this will jelp my kidney. Hi all. ( sorry for my English! Thanks for a brilliant inspiring article. In a nutshell, Nettle seeds are adaptogens, helping us to […]. Once nettle has gone to seed, the leaves will become tough, a little bitter and develop gritty particles that may irritate the urinary tract of some people. I have a workshop on Saturday and the participants will be seiving nettle seed while they sit and relax in the Sanctuary. Wash them with gloves on and stick them into … Seal tightly with a lid and place in a dark location, such as a pantry. apart. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any condition and is for informational purposes only. So glad it was helpful. I like foraging but never collect stinging nettle seeds as that in Italy I can’t find anything that says you can use them! My question(s): Do you (or do you know of any who) have experience using nettle seeds as a base for baking bread and is recipe available for those who like to try? I add it to my breakfast smoothies and oatmeal, salad dressing etc….Love it! In warmer climates where the ground doesn’t freeze, you may be able to harvest in the winter as well. A lovely post! Whereas the leaf is gentler and more nourishing however, the seed packs more of a punch. Spring is the time of year when many plant lovers head into the woods to wild-harvest fresh Urtica dioica— affectionately known as “stinging nettle ”.