or like a young girl seeing her betrothed: like roses glowing bright among the lilies. still, guard her for mine, it makes me desire her more! From Wikisource < Translation:Amores. cedamus! and he drove away thirst with simple draughts of water. No tiger in its Armenian lair would do it. Die Amores des Ovid sind eine Sammlung von 49 Gedichten, ursprünglich wohl im Jahre 16 v. Chr. Disrepute’s alright, so long as I’m less scorched. to be slave to a girl, he’ll judge me guilty and disgraced! And you swore that you would stay with me forever –. Bekannt ist das Wort des Kallimachos, ein dickes Buch sei immer auch ein großes Übel. nescio quem hunc spectans Acheloon et Inachon amnem et potui nomen, Nile, referre tuum! headlong, as he hauls on the foaming bit in vain: or a ship, suddenly, on the point of touching land, when a squall in harbour drags it into the deep –. and noble Love takes up his familiar arrow. Abhandlungen 3. Sabot, A. F.: Ovide poète de l'amour dans ses œuvres de jeunesse (Amores, Héroïdes, Ars amatoria, Remedia amoris, De medicamine faciei femineae), Paris 1975, ²1977 Kettemann, U.: Interpretationen zu Satz und Vers in Ovids erotischen Lehrgedichten. carrying replies from lands scattered through the world! 1855. with translation and commentary by Joan Booth. if by chance you recall, it was my great presence of mind. Oxford 1973. Nereids , goddesses, and you, father of the Nereids. and hid it from me: but anger’s quelled by fear. and Itys, slain by his mother, is lamented with tears: both cruel parents, yet both had bitter reason. Liebeskunst), ist ein Lehrgedicht in drei Büchern des römischen Dichters Ovid, entstanden zwischen 1 v. Chr. Then you will grant life to her, and she to me. start locking your door at early evening. Deceived through you, through you caught defenceless –. O nothing can express my indignation enough Cupid. My reading of Proust has me thinking a lot about Ovid, especially his Amores. unwilling to follow the army and their shields. Amores (16 BCE) by Ovid, translated from Latin by Wikisource The Doorkeeper - A Paraklausithyron. and sees the water near, as near as death. Passa al contenuto principale. joining the heroic with the shorter line. Effecting secret messages, that go unseen. And I had Jupiter, with thunder and lightning, in hand, the things he throws with such effect through the sky –. Calvin Blanchard. No storms will harm your credulity. Od. Amores is Ovid's first completed book of poetry, written in elegiac couplets.It was first published in 16 BC in five books, but Ovid, by his own account, later edited … Außerdem wurde Ovid auch eine Verwicklung in das Liebesleben der Tochter Augustus’ Julia nachgesagt, weshalb man von einer Verbannung “carmen et error” spricht. Believe me, crimes like this don’t please a husband. Ah, I ask for too much---if… leve fit, quod bene fertur, onus. If there’s anyone who thinks it’s disgraceful. when I die: freed in the midst of it, the work half-done: and someone will say, weeping, at my funeral: ‘That death was so appropriate to his life!’. Amores (16 BCE) by Ovid, translated from Latin by Wikisource The Theme of Love. If they’re golden, Aurora’s saffron hair pleases. If Ovid’s book is telling us the story of a love affair, the fourth poem suggests at first that the poet has made a lot of progress. Ovid, Amores: Bibliographie Ausgaben / Kommentare / Übersetzungen Albrecht, Michael (1997): Ovid: Amores.Liebesgedichte. No bird on earth could better copy a voice –. Will I never have nights of sighs? are rough beside mine – she who I please soon pleases me. and give me space and matter for my deceits. P. Ovidius Naso, Amores various, Ed. If a god said ‘Live, and set love aside’ I’d say ‘no’! suffering cold frost the whole night through. gave away knowledge of our secret coupling? Then you’ll be worshipped by both your subject peoples. they should have said girls must travel with their men! why am I so uneasy grown? Mars gets inconstancy from you, Cupid, his stepson: your stepfather wields his arms by your example. Book I of the Amores includes programmatic elegies, as Diotima's excerpt from Batston points out in Notes on Ovid and the Amores by William W. Batstone. She could have deceived you, however irksome you are: Two, who want to, won’t fail to achieve it. Ovid's Art of Love (in three Books), the Remedy of Love, the Art of Beauty, the Court of Love, the History of Love, and Amours. Book One. lie restless, pressed down under uneven ground. Teilen. If you enjoy having me for a rival, deny! Anne Mahoney. The weary soldier retires to the fields he’s given: free of the starting line the racehorse is put out to grass: after long service the warship is secretly beached. P. Ovidius Naso, Amores various, Ed. Roman women, when it was still new-founded. if without battle she suffers wounds from her own weapons. no lioness would dare destroy her foetus. While I’m passing a brief, appropriate, moment with you. "The bad influence" This is the longest of all the Amores, and occupies the central position in Book 1.It is, therefore, an important poem, and it is intriguingly different. –, or I pen the words Penelope wrote Ulysses. Amores (16 BCE) by Ovid, translated from Latin by Wikisource Ovid… And something new seemed to be added to them. Für Namensträger siehe, Lateinische Originaltexte von Ovid – einschließlich Amores, https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Amores&oldid=205943823, „Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike“. — Literal English Translation Original Latin Line It was sultry, and the day had driven out the middle hour; I laid out my relaxed limbs on the middle of the bed. whose hidden child strains their reluctant body. Bad tongues are doubly evil: the husband grieves, the girl’s reputation is harmed. From Wikisource < Translation:Amores. Nuts were his diet, and poppy-seed made him sleep. Please refer to our Privacy Policy. Every lover serves as a soldier, also Cupid has his own camp; Believe me, Atticus, every lover serves as a soldier. What use is she to me if she can’t be bothered to cheat me? This one who sings divinely and smoothly alters pitch. Conditions and Exceptions apply. and Laodamia faithful companion to the end. I’ll never be an embarrassment to you, mea vita. To read through my Amores translations, go here. Jump to navigation Jump to search ←1.5. the discharged man’s sword is safely laid away. Ah me, that you, neither man nor woman, serve the lady. Bright heroic names farewell: Songs bring the beautiful girls to my shining face. Lucifer, bright in the sky, with your galloping horses. I’ll be the first to sight your boat from the shore, I’ll bear you to land on my shoulders, snatch disordered. Ovid Amores 3.15. and the slow serpent glide about your altar. With my girl, I’d dare to force a way through Syrtes’s sands. Tristia | I, that poet Naso, born by Pelignian waters. sive aliqua est oculos in humum deiecta modestos, uror, et insidiae sunt pudor ille meae; sive procax aliqua est, capior, quia rustica non est, spemque dat in molli mobilis esse toro. Booth, John (1991): Ovid: The Second Book of Amores. and relax their limbs in the midst of the bed! Agamemnon made love to captive Cassandra. and, as that ring, I’d carry out a man’s part. its waters flowing through seven mouths to the sea, by your sistrum I pray, by the sacred head of Anubis –. and the horned Apis follow your procession! hadn’t been snatched, Europe and Asia had been at peace. Translation:Amores/1.4. Lateinisch/Deutsch. Yet what was more abundant than that hair, had you let it be? With that clever dresser Cypassis. May great Nereus drive the seas towards this shore: let the winds blow this way, and the tides run! Venus with Vulcan, though when he leaves his anvil. and be satisfied: you can punish her second crime! Do this and you’ll be free in no time at all. It was you, Graecinus, you, I remember, for certain. . Briefpaare (Her. he whose strength can last out nine generations: but that loquacious mimic of the human voice. Seeing the woman’s tears, he’ll weep himself. Aurora: The goddess of dawn. Ovid's two other myth-themed works were the Metamorphoses and the Fasti. See also Amores I 13 and I 8.4. A literal interlinear translation of the first Book “on the plan recommended by Mr. Locke,” was published in 1839, which had been already preceded by “a selection from the Metamorphoses of Ovid, adapted to the Hamiltonian system, by a literal and interlineal translation,” published by James Hamilton, the author of the Hamiltonian system. and the inexperienced boy unused to the touch of love: and let some other youth, now I’m wounded by the bow. Fund for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education provided support for entering this text. but her face often praised, the beautiful girl herself. . where, whatever else it is, the gain is bloodless. It’s not one kind of beauty that excites my desires –. The passion’s here. I give you due warning: if you don’t start to guard the girl, I’ve stood it long enough: often I’ve hoped there’d be. Happy the man who can strongly defend what he loves, whose little friend can say ‘I didn’t do it!’, He’s harsh and exercises his grief too much. and Hippolytus’s father, Theseus, and Hippolytus read, what poor Dido said with the sword tight in her hand. book 1. poem ep. Ovid: The second book of Amores. – 17 A.D.) METAMORPHOSES. What! By an unknown hand. Book II. If Venus had desecrated her belly, pregnant with Aeneas. Diotima also provides … To read through my Metamorphoses translations, go here. Beg, yourself, and a west wind will fill your canvas. Will I never be stopped from coming, unhappy man? and she’ll be sitting on the judge’s lap. Will I never be scared? Statue of Venus de 'Medici, Johan Teyler (Dutch, 1648 – 1709) and the gods that aid us be carried off by the waves. let it be enough for you to have fought this one battle! Amores I:9 → Comments are closed. demens narrabam fluminum amores! Why start an unequal fight? This entry was posted in Ovid and tagged Amores, Metamorphoses, Ovid. non est certa meos quae forma invitet amores— centum sunt causae, cur ego semper amem. Elegy X. Elegy XI: To his Mistress, that he cannot help loving her. Let the gods make that the cause of my death! She reads a note by herself – think that her mother sent it! For my service to you repay me, with a sweet reward. Then when she’d vexed me, and relit the dying flames. Ovid - The Amores Book I - in a new freely downloadable translation Epistulae Heroidum (Heldinnen bzw. I’m at Sulmo, it’s a third of Paelignian country –. she’d still to this day be just huts roofed with straw. There are so many men without love, so many girls! But let me be taken fainting in Venus’s act. carried off, as we see, by wind and wave. Metamorphosen | Anne Mahoney. Warminster 1991. Behold, quails live fighting amongst themselves: perhaps that’s why they frequently reach old age. iactasse indigne nomina tanta pudet. and died before his time: while she’s a goddess! And you, Ilythia, who pity girls struggling in labour. so that death has often been my greatest wish. you’d throw your white arms about my shoulders: I’d bear your sweet body’s burden easily. Love’s left my bones stripped naked of flesh. Ovid survives in his poetry (his tragedy Medea is lost), the most important of which, in probable order of composition, are: Amores (c. 20 b.c.e. But should Neptune’s stormy powers triumph. I saw the girl yesterday in the light, walking there. what messages the maid carries and brings back. Oh, the number of times, she invented a crime. The best are always taken first by greedy hands: and Hector was ashes while his brothers lived. May those who carved the world into long roads. wearing a beak dyed scarlet spotted with saffron. make your Thracian lyre quiver with your fingers. I sway, like a yacht caught by opposing winds. or give lethal poison to what is not yet born? straight away she’s sitting in my lap again. Don’t ask what happens in the temple of linen-clad Isis. Whoever first taught the destruction of a tender foetus. This work may be freely reproduced, stored and transmitted, electronically or otherwise, for any non-commercial purpose. A vain wish? If Danae had never been shut in the brazen tower. par erat inferior versus—risisse Cupido deserved to die by her own warlike methods. and the land where the swift Nile spreads in its wide delta. All your lives you were in perfect concord. though, I think, your naked limbs would rouse my passion. but put chaste Hippolytus by her, and he’d be Priapus! Loeb Classical Library (Cambridge, … Ovid - The Amores Book III - in a new freely downloadable translation You too -  accept me, mea lux, on whatever terms: you’re suited to laying the law down in a public place. Cedimus, an subitum luctando accendimus ignem? Ring, to encircle my beautiful girl’s finger. in fünf, später um die Zeitenwende und von Ovid selbst in drei Büchern herausgegeben. spewing out and sucking back the flooding waters. grassy turf casts a shade on the damp earth. Me too, who’ve earned it so often, by loving girls: time for me to be discharged and live in peace. –. Go on remembering me, return with a following wind: let the breeze more strongly fill your sails! ("Agamemnon", "Hom. If Rome had not spread her power to the wide world. His garrulous tongue left Tantalus searching. This entry was posted in Ovid and tagged Amores, Metamorphoses, Ovid. Das Eröffnungsgedicht der Amores beginnt damit, dass Ovid den Ich-Erzähler sagen lässt: „Arma gravi numero violentaque bella parabam“ (‚Waffengänge und grausame Kriege habe ich in Hexametern herausgeben wollen‘) …, doch da sei plötzlich Amor gekommen, ihm im nächsten Vers eine Hebung zu rauben, und die neue Form fordere sofort ein anderes Thema. Book II Elegy I: The Readership He Desires, Book II Elegy VI: The Death of Corinna’s Pet Parrot, Book II Elegy XVIII: The Death of Tragedy. De medicamine faciei | If it’s one with modest eyes cast on the ground. or the Promethean rocks dyed red with blood. You’re dull, and allow what no husband should allow: while for me freedom puts an end to love! Buy This Book Book I (Chaos, Four Ages, Flood, Daphne, Io, Syrinx, Phaethon) Book II (Phaethon’s fall, Callisto, Coronis, Aglauros, Europa) Book III (Cadmus, Actaeon, Semele, Tiresias, Narcissus, Pentheus) Book IV (Pyramus, Leucothoe, Salmacis, Ino, Cadmus, Perseus) Book V (Perseus, Calliope, Proserpine, Arethusa, The Pierides) Book VI (Arachne, … Here too Love commands – go far, stay far, you puritans! He’s only stealing sand from the empty beach. the lovely woman does what she’d like to do. 1855. If I know you, you’d be happier with that than war. to throw the stones that made us onto the empty earth. Added to which she takes pains to dress your hair, and a well-taught servant is dear to you –. If she wants to rule a long time, she must cheat her lover. shamefully turn to weapons, in the midst of the wine: a woman incited the Trojans to a second war. What flattery, what sweet words she prepared for me. how your ship was nearly wrecked in mid-ocean: that, hastening to me, you weren’t frightened. Amores 1.9 (English Translation) Lyrics. I don’t think of celebrating Sulmo’s healthiness, that’s its my native place, ancestral country –. What the youth from Phocis was to Orestes of Argos. I swear by Venus, and the bow of her winged boy. Ars amatoria, auch Ars amandi (lat. 5 an subit et tecta callidus arte nocet? secret messages are deduced from its lack of expression. The Love Poems: The Amores, Ars Amatoria and Remedia Amoris (English Edition) eBook: Ovid, A. S. Kline: Amazon.it: Kindle Store If you’re learned, you please me with rare arts: Then there’s the girl who says that Callimachus’s songs. crack the whip yourself over their galloping manes! But let these words vanish on the ethereal breeze. whom husband, watchman, firm doors, all those enemies. you could never free your beak much for eating. if your mother had tried what you have done: I myself would be better to die making love. How to quote this translation. She wrote back nervously: ‘It’s not allowed!’, And, querying why it wasn’t, I got the reply. ." Oh, the number of times she invented a headache. Nor is there any new reason for war here. behold, disgrace, I love two at the same time! Still as it was fitting to try a request, so I’m asking. at tibi pro meritis, opto, non candide torrens, sint rapidi soles siccaque semper hiemps! so that sealing the work would give me no pain. is admitted by my lips, and mine by yours. Open Book Publishers. Doors yield to song, and the bolt rammed home. Die Heroides bestehen aus 15 Einzelbriefen und drei wahrscheinl… why add water you’ve gathered to the deep sea? It was as if I wanted to tear her hair, all done up as it was, and tear her tender cheeks, with anger, in my passion –. Powered by WordPress and Sliding … Originally, the “Amores” was a five-book collection of love poetry, first published in 16 BCE.Ovid later revised this layout, reducing it to the surviving, extant collection of three books, including some additional poems written as late as 1 CE. in my care, and I was as suited as you like to doing it. The nymph Calypso was captivated by love of a mortal. Think better of me than that, if I wronged you in passion. Behold a new crime! why so restless on my bed of down? Turn your face towards us, and spare both in one! Jump to navigation Jump to search ←1.14. while you’ve a good chance of gaining a reward. I hate to desire, but can’t not be what I hate: ah, what a painful burden to throw off what you love! And, as for the ways, you come by, may swelling hills. occupy me, though the countryside’s flowing with rivers. Girls, imprint the sands with marble feet: the beach is safe – the rest’s a dark journey. Concoct idle things to hide true motivations: and what satisfies her will satisfy them both. Ovid - The Heroides: a new complete downloadable English translation. Not shallow walls, not some town encircled. Amores (16 BCE) by Ovid, translated from Latin by Wikisource The Doorkeeper - A Paraklausithyron . Home 2. Amores (16 BCE) by Ovid, translated from Latin by Wikisource The Afternoon Affair . O I wish, if men had to cut the seas with oars, at least. can’t both slide between the same shores. Ovid's Art of Love (in three Books), the Remedy of Love, the Art of Beauty, the Court of Love, the History of Love, and Amours. and early C1st A.D., during the reign of the Emperor Augustus. © Copyright 2000-2020 A. S. Kline, All Rights Reserved. What does it profit me to sing of swift Achilles? edited for Perseus. Heroides and Amores. If I praise someone, you try to tear my hair out: if I damn her, you think I’m covering up a crime. why so restless on my bed of down? But without you here, though the busy vineyards. that’s the story, Egeria hers with Numa the Just. the founder of my mistress’s City would have been lost. I saw your crime myself you wretch, sober. giving hope of being sweetly nimble in bed. in its quest for the notorious Golden Fleece. Book III . I’ll manage – my limbs are slender but not without strength: my body’s light but not lacking in power: and pleasure secretly nourishes my forces. Beauty brings pride. New York. edited for Perseus. Calvin Blanchard. and held firm in your faithfulness to the end. Und weil Naso nicht verliebt war und daher keinen Grund hatte zu klagen, habe der Gott einen Pfeil auf ihn abgeschossen, damit der junge Dichter auf der Stelle schwärme für ein Mädchen namens Corinna. His works include the Heroides, a collection of poems in the form of letters from heroines to their loves. He pleases and lives in the house and doesn’t feel the lash: he’s powerful – the others lie there a squalid crowd. But tender girls do it, though not un-punished: often she who kills her child, dies herself. Remedia amoris | That’s how Cupid’s inconstant winds drive me back. Gegen Ende des Werkes gibt es ein Klagelied, worin der Autor um den zu früh verstorbenen Tibull trauert und zugleich Abschied nimmt von der Elegie, wobei er noch einmal seine Vorbilder nennt: Catull und Calvus, Gallus und eben Tibull. This one’s small size is manageable. and give and deny your delights with dubious loyalty. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License. continually beaten to tame him, he goes slow! and calls sleep itself the greatest of gifts! O triumph of mine you are due to all my care! What joy has a barbed arrow in being blunted on bone? and mark your delicate cheeks with hard talons: tear out your shaggy plumage, instead of hair, in mourning: Philomela , mourning the crime of the Thracian tyrant, divert your lament to the death of a rare bird –. You’re unreliable, far more fickle than your wings. Epistulae ex Ponto | Der Grund für seine Verbannung war laut Ovid die Veröffentlichung seiner Ars amatoria, welches ein Gedicht über die Liebe darstellt, und deshalb dem Kaiser moralisch zu verwerflich erschien. . One word of that’s misleading! You’re not fit audience for the erotic mode. She pretends to go to see a friend who isn’t ill. What could be more innocuous than our prayers?