, It’s the soup! I use a different recipie to make okroshka which is really good too. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Season with black pepper and serve. Add the liquid to the diced ingredients, stir and serve. Hope that helps. I think i’ll go to Russian store and get some right now , Wow that sounds so unusual and wild really! Recipe- Chilled Armenian Cucumber Soup . I have ‘the sharper image chopper’, but I first need to slice the veggie, and then it “chopps” it into cubes. . Thanks for this recipe. I don’t care if its a summer soup, all I know I’m going to turn my heater on and eat it in this cold weather lol, You made me laugh Yessy :D. I totally agree and you are welcome. She's letting me post her recipe (which sounds really yummy). And I buy Alexs meat bologna the red packagin one from the russian store. Sadly, no cold soup for dinner yet, as the kvas needs a day’s lead time! You can also check for taste to see if it needs more salt, pepper, or lemon to perfect the taste. In a blender or food processor, add cucumbers, yogurt, shallot, garlic, fresh dill, lime juice and ground cumin. Temper the cream: pour the cream into a cup, add a couple tablespoons of soup, stirring after every added tablespoon, then … https://www.archanaskitchen.com/russian-radish-cucumber-salad-recipe . I like okroshka with Kvass mixed with sour cream Also I prefer veggie variant without kielbasa but with radish and a lot of green herbs – green onions , parsley, dill and cilantro Very healthy and delicious. You are welcome Julia, sometimes the best pictures are taken by accident :). But I would love to hear the results if you decide to try it. Besides the ones you mentioned they would also add radish and They would first kind of crush the green onions and dill together In the bowl until it lets out a juice, then all the ingredients were added and instead of using water and vinegar they would only use the sour cream and a very thin buttermilk for the soup base. I just made the soup today for dinner. when cucumbers are in season Whenever I ask my mom/mother-in-law for recipes non of them have it written down or know the quantities that they use. I was wondering what you serve with this soup? I have tried it with radishes and it is very good! Stir in the vinegar and salt to taste. This is a cold summer soup from Russia called 'Okroshka'. I think Okroshka is something you grow to love. Do you think it would work well with fresh lemon juice also? I cooled the potato water (and skimmed off the potato scum) to use for the broth- adding water to get 8 cups. While potatoes are cooking , boil 3 eggs and cooled them in ice water. Thank you so much for sharing your version! Mmm, i am going to safeways, getting the ingredients and whipping this up. We ate Okroshka in Moscow made with kvass and I had searched for the flavor profile. I lived in Russia 50 years. Add the half and half until the blender container is almost full or to highest usable capacity without going over the top. instead of ham you may use bologna or chicken breast. I can’t wait to make this! How To Make Cucumber Radish Salad. Meanwhile, heat 1/2 Tablespoon of butter in a skillet. I just happened to be looking for a summer soup and came across the Okroshka recipe,,,I cant wait to try it. It adds a nice bit of extra flavor! My parents LOVED it! How to make Thanks for sharing your tips with other readers Irene! In a serving bowl, combine the potatoes, eggs, cucumbers, sausages and herbs. Like all melons, mature cucumber is widely believed to have cooling properties. I can eat three bowls of this on a hungry stomach. I’ve read that it’s served that way traditionally. I’ll check back later. (This cooking method is thanks to one of my readers - Nadia). I add radishes and lemon juice instead of vinegar to mine and I think that mayo adds an amazing touch to it! Okroshka Russian summer soup. If you cook for a special guest, I suggest removing the center with seeds too. Thanks for stopping by! sounds insane i know… sour cream and tomato fish. i have added green jalepeno tobasco to mine and it gives it a whole new taste. Can you share your version and maybe the brand of kvas you like? I don’t think I liked it much the first couple times I tried it. Thanks Alla. Electric blender (8 cup) or food processor. Next, dice 3 eggs, 3-4 cucumbers, 1/2 lb of ham. Do you have a specific recipe that you use? Thanks again for the great recipe! Hi Christian, I have always preferred the greater depth of flavor from using vinegar, but alot of people do put kvass in their cold soup instead. But we are still going to sit down, right now, and enjoy a wonderful bowl of cold soup! Place everything in a large pot. Best during the hot summer months 3. The cucumbers are pretty straightforward. Okroshka is the soup most everyone loves and almost anyone can make. 8 cups cold water 1/3 cup sour cream 3 1/2 Tbsp Vinegar divided 2 1/2 tsp Salt 3 Tbsp chopped dill (fresh or frozen) 1/2 cup green onion, finely chopped 1/2 ham diced 3-4 medium cooked potatoes, peeled and diced 3 hard-boiled eggs, diced 3-4 cucumbers, diced. I try to do it like you exactly. Classic Russian soup, with cucumber and sour cream, decorated with greens. Thank you Tanya!! You have a really nice salad . FREE BONUS: 5 Secrets to Be a Better Cook! Garnishes: For garnish, reserve some of the cucumber, onion and pepper. I make mine the same but with 1 ltr of kefir instead of sour cream, and I mix / mash the cooked yolk with 1.5 tblspn Russian mustard. For those of you who will decide to try this, make sure you get the highest quality canned fish, with no skin, and remove all the big bones. I just tried this Okroshka cold soup, and though delicious, I wondered what you might think of using 1/2 buttermilk with 1/2 sour cream instead of water and sour cream? Here’s how: Wash and trim radishes and cucumbers. Sauerkraut soup, also called sour schi, is a traditional russian main first course dish for several hundreds year.. This soup is so yummy and healthy, you can buy the ingredients anywhere, which makes is really easy. Pour the mixture in the pot with the rest of ingredients. 1 Yellow Bell Pepper. Maybe hubby will even like it as a drink? Would boiled chicken work? My Mom requested for me to make this as it was one of her favorites from their visit to Ukraine. And I mean every single day and I’m not kidding! 1 small bunch radishes, cut in half and thinly sliced Traditionally the base of it was kvass. It's very refreshing to have chilled soup on a hot summer day. Let Me know about your experience with making okroshka and if this information has helped you. Natasha’s favorite tips to unleash your inner chef! https://leitesculinaria.com/235613/recipes-cold-cucumber-soup-yogurt-dill.html Keeps for several meals. This Cold Cucumber Soup was one of my dad’s favorite summertime soups.He’d request it for lunch when he’d stop by my house in during the summer. thank youuuuuuuuuuuu Not something you get tired of. I hope you find many new favorite recipes on our blog . Makes all the difference. I have one question though, is there any substitute for ham? Depending on size or amount of cucumbers, you may have some left over that could be used another time or for a salad. I dont like it but its my hubbys favorite, especially on a hot day at work.=). Buttermilk is great option as well :). Someone else suggested that as well. Stay tuned though. ... Asparagus soup with tartines. https://natashaskitchen.com/2014/04/04/creamy-clam-chowder-recipe/. Business & Employment. Here's how you say it. Add 1 Tbsp vinegar and bring to a boil then continue boiling for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked, but not falling apart. I haven’t made it with buttermilk before, not sure how it will react to the vinegar. I hope you love it! Fedor made it for us and we both enjoyed a whole pot in 2 days (yes we had it 2-3 times each day) Thanks for the recipe. Nadia thank you for sharing!). I’m back in Ukraine now and have just made Okroshka again using your recipe instead of mine! but so delicious! Can it be made a day ahead? into a food processor or blender. Image of pickle, russian, meat - 37270817 You may want to hold back on some of the salt and pepper and add later to perfect the taste. Came up with this: SO Delicious Dairy Free Plain Yogurt, Greek Style. Most of you already know, but, for those who don't: my heritage is 'White' Russian. I cut everything up small. ... you do need to cook the beets to make this cool take on the Russian soup. Natasha, I’ll definitely have to try it next time. What about this? Hi Tanya! I'm Natasha Kravchuk. I have a Ukranian friend that invite me to try this soup and I loved it. YUM! Hi Deborah, I have always preferred the greater depth of flavor from using vinegar, but alot of people do put kvass in their cold soup instead. With avocado for healthy fat, lime for freshness, and low-cal cucumber, it’s a super healthy combo. Stir into the soup. I once ended up with a reflection of myself in a single cranberry which was garnish for a cranberry loaf. Cook for about 5 minutes, until they are softened. we used to put buttermilk instead of water an sour cream . Love that version! Thank you for the great feedback :). I’m looking forward to trying it . It’s basically summer in a bowl! It's refreshing on a hot day. I’ve tried a kvas version that I didn’t like a whole lot but maybe it was that specific recipe. So perfect as a late-night meal, a mid-morning snack, a light dinner with fresh dark bread… Thank you for providing the recipe. I can’t wait to try this! Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the sour cream, vinegar, salt if desired and garlic … In a separate large bowl, whisk together 8 cups of cold water, 1/3 cup of sour cream, 2 1/2 Tbsp of vinegar, 2 1/2 tsp of salt until combined. I haven’t had okroshka in ages, mostly because I don’t have kvas but never thought of making it without. I’ll try that. Of all Ukranian/Russian recipes that my husband taught me, this one is the easiest and one that I make almost everyday. A smooth blended vegetable soup with blue cheese that's as good for a comforting meal as it is for a dinner party starter, from BBC Good Food. I will have to give it a try. Books, Literature & Writing. Half gallon container that will hold 8 cups or 64 fluid ounces. used to always make okroshka for me after a long summer day. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kvass. Thanks for the tip Nadia. I like it a lot and I think I will make it soon! Check out cold soup recipe from Russia - okroshka. Anyways, I like your non-kvas soup version better, so that is what I’m starting with. It comes out fabulous every single time. Thank you! Thank you so much for sharing your version! complicated to make Thanks. It should be just fine the next day. Is there a brand of buttermilk you like best? THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK ON THESE AWESOME RECIPES ☺️☺️, I have a question – What’s going to happen if I add buttermilk instead of water mixed with sour cream? I know the kvas one doesn’t freeze well because of the alcohol. Though okroshka is a Russian soup, it refers to Slavic cuisine and Ukrainian love and cook it a lot, so we've decided to share the recipe. 2 TBSP Fresh Lime Juice. Having sampled the full-spectral glory of Russian pickles when I was in Moscow 2 years ago, I can personally attest to their superiority! I’m looking at your cold soup recipie, is there something I could use to substitute for sour cream, keeping the same taste? Thanks for taking the time to make Ukrainian recipes available and easy to make! Puree until smooth, about 1 … Mix cooled water with 1 quart of buttermilk in a large pot. Serve immediately. It's relatively guilt free; no butter or oils required. I don’t have a recipe for the kvass version posted so I don’t have an exact conversion to recommend. 1 to 2 tsp Rice Wine Vinegar. My mother would use 1 quart of buttermilk, cut with 1 cup of cold water. Take the soup off the heat. My friend Liza, who works for my parent company, just emailed me this recipe. I’ve always had this with cold Kvas poured over it… Mmmm. In a separate large bowl, whisk together 8 cups of cold water, 1/3 cup of sour cream, 2 1/2 Tbsp of vinegar, 2 1/2 tsp of salt until combined. Love your blog! Lou Wong Kua Tong (Mature Cucumber Soup) is very popular soup in Malaysia where it is hot and humid year round. Add the cucumber’s brine (juice), add it gradually and taste the soup making sure it’s not too sour/not enough sour for you. Since vinegar is so much more potent in flavor than kvass, you will want to replace some of the water with kvass for it to be flavorful enough. Hello, loved your recipes that we’ve tried, including the baked salmon and garlicky potatoes. If I’m ever in Manhattan, I’ll try to remember this restaurant , No you use the whole bottle of kvass Kvass is the main ingredient And add sour cream 1 or 2 spoon to each plate just as to borscht I know that some people use low fat yogurt mixed with water and lemon juice So your reflection in the spoon is totally awesome! https://www.elizabethminchilli.com/2015/06/okroshka-cold-russian-soup Of course I would love to put doktorskyu kolbasu, but it’s impossible to find . I know, its addicting isn’t it? Here are more beet recipes. Since vinegar is so much more potent in flavor than kvass, you will want to replace some of the water with kvass for it to be flavorful enough. Can’t wait to make this! 8 oz Greek yogurt. Boil 2 quarts of water and let it cool. You've got to try it, you may like it. Hi Natasha!! Now I’m in university and I miss my mom’s cooking! Thank you for sharing that with me. . Push the "Chop" button on the blender for about a second or two or to when the rotor teeth on the blender breaks free from chopping. These were fresh beets. Rassolnik is a dish from the Russian soup kitchen based on the taste of pickled cucumbers and their brine. Clam chowder? Peel potatoes and dice them into 1/4″ cubes (we used the Vidalia Chopper). Thanks Ana! Melt the butter/marg in large saucepan and saute the onion until transparent. Family & Parenting. My husband is prefers to be vegetarian (don’t ask me why). 4. Meanwhile, start dicing the other ingredients. Stir to combine and serve. Thank you for your great feedback, Alex. Stir to combine and serve. Thanks for the tip. The recipe is great, however, in the event you guys don’t end up liking the dish itself – strain the soup, add some light mayo and sweet corn and BAM! In a separate bowl combine kefir and water until desired consistency, remembering that the end result is a soup, not a salad. Other common garnishes are croutons, chopped eggs and diced ham. That sounds delicious! I loved your version, Ochen Vkusno! Real okroshka is cooked from kvas. Served hot or cold, this soup never fails to delight the taste buds! I will try putting radishes next year when they will be in season, that’s sounds really good. And – thank you That’s very sweet of you. I know, not much left cucumber will be. It's very simply made with potatoes, eggs and cucumbers, served in a sour cream broth. Can I make this soup without the ham? Thanks in advance! P.S. Also on the colder days my mom would leave out the potatoes and boil them fresh, and everyone would add the hot potatoes to the okroshka for a “warmer fill”. Thank you for the recipe! Also chop 3 Tbsp of dill and 1/2 cup of green onions. Potatoes True to form, it just starting down pouring here in Kyiv and is cool! Rinse off and pat dry. Easy, cheap and healthy; that’s my kinda meal. . Mmmmm …. It is always BoMB! Thank you Ana! Place diced potatoes in a medium pot and cover with water. Temper the cream: pour the cream into a cup, add a couple tablespoons of soup… Cucumbers My husband and I run this blog together and share only our best, family approved and tested recipes with YOU. (A mom who chases after a 1-year-old gets hungry ok?!) How to Make Russian Cold Holodnik Soup: 1. Joyce, thank you for the nice review, I’m glad it brought some good memories for you . It's one of my favorites. Will definitely be trying a bunch of your recipes. Hope that helps. The first time i heard of this soup is when i was dating my husband, and i thought “these Russians eat some interesting things”lol My mother in law makes it with kavas though. If you never had cucumber soup, Hi Natasha, did u put away the recipe to that clam soup I forgot what’s it called. ... a few lumps to remain. Yes I slice them so they are even little cubes. And I just realized I’m very much a part of this picture. Also chop 3 Tbsp of dill and 1/2 cup of green onions. Autos. Transfer to bowls, sprinkle with parsley, and drizzle with 1 teaspoon of olive. I love trying new versions! Kefir and sour cream can be replaced with kvass. I’ve tried with radishes and liked it very much! our family loves okroshka we add red radishes to ours if u want to u can try it out. Do they work? https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/chilled-cucumber-soup old Russian style TFD has listed other pickled Russian fruit and vegetable recipes before, including watermelon and tomatoes, but it is now time to list a recipe for the ‘ne plus ultra’ of Russian pickles – the cucumber! Thanks for posting these recipes as it gives me a chance to sample simple dishes from my heritage that may have gotten lost in the shuffle of modern day North American life! You may also use unsweetened kvas as base It’s very refreshing to have chilled soup on a hot summer day. Personally I like it the best with lemon juice. First time to your site, and I literally backed into your blog! My husband Joe's heritage is Italian. 1 medium sized or 2 small cucumbers 6 medium sized potatoes – 1 1/2 pounds, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch cubes and boiled 3 cups cold water 1,5 tsp salt ground black pepper, hint nutmeg 1 cup heavy cream 1 cup milk 1 … We’ve always gobbled it up so quickly that we didn’t need to freeze it. you can find them in a big russian store in any big city in North America, just ask for: “bychki v tomate” , Mmm my favorite summer meal! Hands down the best summer food! ; Add water to milk kefir until desired consistency is reached. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/13093/solianka-or-russian-beef-soup I bought it from the store and prefer to peel before serving at my salad. Stir into the soup. I’ll check that book out. I also felt compelled to leave a comment on how beautiful you are in the picture. Growing up we would have a large pot in the fridge that lasted a few days! Making this for bookclub. My mom cooks all these amazing Russian dishes but she never measures so it’s so nice to see it and know how its done. We use turkey balogna instead of ham and add radishes for more crunch and flavor! I’d love to go to culinary school some day. You could save time using a food processor or onion chopper but the pieces won’t be as pretty and uniform. Thanks for all the hard work producing this blog and your wonderful recipes! Education & Science. Yes, here it is :): https://natashaskitchen.com/2014/04/04/creamy-clam-chowder-recipe/ Enjoy it! Sprinkle the cucumber slices with salt, and rest for 20 minutes. My mother doesn’t make it, but does remember her family eating this in the summer – made with buttermilk, lemon juice, and lots and lots of fresh dill! You should try kvass It’s delicious I live in new York and can get it in Russian food store But also they should have it in Whole Foods Just mix all ingredients and then add kvass Sour cream add to the plate One or two table spoons That is it ). 1. Instead of vinegar, use pickle juice. Thank you so much for sharing. Delicious and easy to prepare. I’ve been looking at your site for no more than 5 min and I’ve already found TONS of stuff that I can’t wait to try!! I too love mayo , No I didn’t try ) But I like Veselka restaurant in east village I know the founder is Ukranian woman who moved to States in 50th Now it’s very popular cafe on Manhattan They even published this book with Ukranian recepies and it’s best seller now) I thought maybe its interesting for you They have it on Amazon I mostly cook Russian Ukranian and Polish using family recipes, I’ll definitely check it out. Ummm… I was served this at midnight after a days excursion to Kazan. Here are more beet recipes. Need to translate "cucumber soup" to Russian? i love the idea of radishes too! Season with salt and pepper. We are so happy you're here. ; Pour kefir-water mixture over vegetables and season to taste with salt and pepper. It’s comments like yours that encourage me to post more of the Russian/Ukrainian foods. Potatoes, fresh cucumber, doctor’s sausage, radish, egg, green onions, dill, kefir, sour cream, and salt. Entertainment & Media. Never ever I did not eat Okroshka with kefir or water. This recipe for cold Lithuanian beet soup or šaltibarščiai is made with buttermilk, sour cream, hard-cooked eggs, cucumbers, and dill. Hi! What would be a good substitute? Add the cucumber’s brine (juice), add it gradually and taste the soup making sure it’s not too sour/not enough sour for you. First, I found an interesting recipe for Okroshka on the Saveur website – Chilled Russian Vegetable Soup (www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Chilled-Russian-Vegetable-Soup) – but it uses kvas, which I had heard of but never seen in the many Polish stores in this city. Hope that helps . Beef Okroshka sounds yummy . You are welcome. As someone that has a lot of extra time on my hands, I do a lot of cooking and your food blog is by far one of the first stops I make. Awesome! ha ha :). Recipe by Mirj2338. I can’t wait till we will have home grown cucumbers in the summer to try this recipe again. My readers have shared that they use kvass instead of water without vinegar, or some of them said they use lemon juice instead of vinegar. Slice or quarter the eggs into the blender container. Soooo good! I agree summer went by so quick! Rating: Ø 4.6 (591 votes) Ingredients for 4 servings Definitely best cold Summer food! https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/chilled-cucumber-soup I use lemon juice instead of vinegar and slightly more sour cream. Leave the cucumber-pepper mix chunky if … Also, i add radishes. Older beets may take up to an hour. It's fun to slice off the ends and hollow them out as little cups for cold Cucumber soup. Slice cucumbers into the blender container until it is about 3/4 full. Hi, thank you for sharing so much with us, I want to ask what to replace vinegar with or simply not use it as I cannot stand the smell of it. This soup is so good and refreshing. Get weekly updates on new recipes, exclusive giveaways plus behind the scenes photos. Check out cold soup recipe from Russia - okroshka. I also love the idea of using sour cream and thin buttermilk. I call this Okroshka a summer soup because it’s served cold. Don't know what to eat during hot summer days? Russian Cucumber Soup No reviews 15 min. Is it better made in advance for flavors to get picked up in broth, or better not? So, do you add 1 or 2 tablespoons kvass or sour cream, or both? Now I’m craving it! This cucumber radish dill salad takes just 10 minutes to make! Cucumber Soup, Jack, the son of Jack, of the family Slevkoff. If you already have lemon juice, just pour the proper amount into the blender container. This is my favorite Summer soup, ever!!! That’s a great tip Alex, thanks for sharing :). isn’t it sad that summer is almost over? Add avocado and parsley; blend on low speed until smooth. Welcome to my kitchen! I’m so glad you like the recipe . Thank you. Now I can scarf it down like it’s nobodies business! So refreshing and delicious. i never made it before but my hubby really wants it so yours would be the one i would trust making it the first time! Great recipe. Happy Cooking. Learn more... Natasha's top tips to unleash your inner chef! Season with black pepper and serve. Healthy soup. Hi Tim – from your meringue comment, it seems you are quite the cook! Thanks for sharing! I’m so happy you and your parents loved the recipe! I haven’t made it with buttermilk before, not sure how it will react to the vinegar. Welcome to the site Natasha :D. I hope that you will find many more new favorites :). Add the onion and carrot. Thank you!!! Thanks for giving this recipe a try, I am so glad you liked it. I never liked it with kvass, which, to me, makes the soup lose its refreshing quality. That does sound like a really tasty version. very delicious.it will depend on how much you like that tobasco. Recipe is very similar to what I make, except I also add radish, cilantro, and eat it with buttermilk diluted with some cold water, adding a squeeze from a lemon. Transfer to bowls, sprinkle with parsley, and drizzle with 1 teaspoon of olive. This recipe for cold Lithuanian beet soup or šaltibarščiai is made with buttermilk, sour cream, hard-cooked eggs, cucumbers, and dill. https://www.archanaskitchen.com/russian-radish-cucumber-salad-recipe Do you slice the vegetables before putting them on the chopper, or does it actually dice it right away? I don’t think I’ve ever seen that done before but I’m so intrigued! The name most likely originated from "kroshit', which means to crumble into small pieces. Reduce the heat to a simmer and keep the soup covered as it cooks. After chillled for at least a half hour, the okroshka is ready to eat. . . You can probably skip the mayo for a healthier version. You will hear a different sound after the ingedients are all chopped up and become fluid. Okroshka Russian summer soup Meanwhile, start dicing the other ingredients. About 90% water, Cucumbers are rich in Vitamin C, beta-carotene and manganese, and yield antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits. also you can use instead of water and sourcream, 50/50 kefir and carbonated mineral water and add some spicy mustard, if you like sharp note. I don’t have a recipe for the kvass version posted so I don’t have an exact conversion to recommend. Ingredients Potato Cucumber Soup. I use Ayran (the Turkish yougurt-based drink). My mom (and I now) make our okroshka with buttermilk, mineral water, a bit of mayo and vinegar (salt and pepper). So lovely to know that Paul! I was born in Ukraine and lived half of my life there; once my mom’s friend came up with something extremely extravagant for okroshka recipe and it was more delicious that you can possibly imagine!