Direct Heat. } Finally, on went a layer of moist gunny sack, to keep the imu hydrated and preserve more of the steam and smoke. for (var i = 0, len = allInputs.length; i < len; i++) { var create_tooltip = function(elem, text) { var tooltip = null, value = elem.value, no_error = true; Plenty of aloha put into every step. if (results != undefined) { A few feet of flexible wire (to tie the legs together), A wireless thermometer or two (not required, but helpful). var form_to_submit = document.getElementById('_form_1_'); }; for (var i = 0; i < elems.length; i++) { tooltip.tip.className = tooltip.tip.className.replace(/ ? Slide the pig to one side of the grill grate, and cover the other half with about five layers of aluminum foil. At the imu luau location at the Polynesian Cultural Center we met up with David, who kindly showed us how to set up an imu, and explained the importance of it in the Polynesian food culture. tooltip.appendChild(inner); Using an entire pile of leaves, they probably added about 20 layers or so, arranging them in a criss-cross system, making sure to fully cover the pig and the hot rocks below, and to make sure there weren’t any openings where too much smoke or steam could escape. if (elem.getAttribute('required') !== null) { Allow the pig to cook for several hours on both sides. Dalmatian Rub. element['on' + event] = function() { } We put the pig on the ground at 9am on the day of, and then hit the water to welcome the Hokulea into Charleston Harbor, before the crew joined us for an evening of celebration. While technically a pig is only a true suckling pig when it's still drinking its mother's milk (up to the age of around six weeks), you'll often find pigs that are quite a bit older still labeled as "suckling." var setCookie = function(name, value) { elem.className = elem.className + ' _has_error'; this is a good recipe. } else { } Dig a hole in the ground, fill it with fire, add a large animal, cover and cook. if (needs_validate(input)) { for (var i = 0; i < tooltips.length; i++) { for another variation split the hot dog lengthwise down the middle being careful not to go all the way through. Luau Pig - Hawaiian Style (In the Ground With Hot Rocks): Luau pig is a lot of *VERY HARD* work, but that is the price of becoming a living god. submitted = true; if (!value.match(/^\d\d\d\d-\d\d-\d\d$/)) { Cooking a whole pig (in this case, a 75- to 125-pounder, butterflied and with hair removed) in a backyard pit puts the neighborhood on notice: You’re taking the party to a new level. Snouts Pigs’ noses are often used in soups. First up is a list of things you need, you can substitute as you wish, this is what I used; 260 lb Pig - Professionally butchered and dehaired, tell them it’s fo… if (!selected) { new_tooltip.no_arrow = true; The upper part is our Boston butt (sometimes called "blade roast"), and it comes from right behind the pig's neck and typically contains a small piece of the shoulder blade. If you have a few minutes, press play to watch the video below: (If you can’t see the video, watch it here). return match ? tooltip = create_tooltip(elem, err.join('
')); break; Wash and soak tuber well before cooking, but do not cut into the skin, even to remove imperfections or 'eyes'. Like the pitmasters of the American South, the Hawaiians know that to create a meal worth remembering for the rest of your life, you can’t cut corners. } else if (elem.type =='checkbox') { var wrapper = document.createElement('div'); The blade roast is a well-marbled cut. Anti-scrapplers consider it a culinary abomination. } var time = now.getTime(); var serialized = _form_serialize(document.getElementById('_form_1_')); script.src = url; var getCookie = function(name) { selected = true; saucijsje meat (or 1 1/2 lbs. validate_field(el, true); return no_error; if (elem.type != 'checkbox') elem.className = elem.className.replace(/ ?_has_error ?/g, ''); }; return no_error; match[2] : null; My wife and I were invited to the Polynesian Cultural Center for the luau, and not only did we get to enjoy the feast, but we were able to see them cook a pig in a Hawaiian imu as well. var needs_validate = function(el) {

for (var i = 0; i < allInputs.length; i++) { window._form_serialize = window.serialize; You want a whole pig with the head and hooves on. elems[i].className = elems[i].className.replace(/ ?_has_error ?/g, ''); Read through all the steps before embarking, and take plenty of notes. I’ll list them and then go into a greater detail for a few of them below: Pig: A 100-pound pig will feed roughly 100 people, so plan your pig size according to your guest list. Cooking a pig in the ground is more than just a novel way of cooking food — it’s a cultural experience and one that you’ll best appreciate if you familiarize yourself with its methodology. } else if (value === undefined || value === null || value === '') { This I’m sure toned down the hot rocks a bit, so the meat would not make direct contact and burn. The meat is really good but my favourite is the kumara (local sweet potatoes) and pumpkin cooked in it. traditional underground ovens have been utilized to cook and steam food. if (elems[i].getAttribute('required') === null) continue; I could actually see smoke pouring out of the nose of the pig, it was falling off the bone tender, and the skin was golden blackened on the outside, with juicy succulent meat on the inside. addEvent(input, 'input', function() { Lots of firewood – about an eighth of a true cord will work. var validate_field = function(elem, remove) { An imu is a Hawaiian traditional underground oven dug into the ground, and used to cook any variety of meat or seafood. If you can find a local heritage or natural farmer, it’s worth the extra cost. var doc = document.documentElement, scrollPosition = rect.top - ((window.pageYOffset || doc.scrollTop) - (doc.clientTop || 0)); I ate something similar in New Zealand a hangi. oldFunc.apply(this, arguments); div.innerHTML = html; Roll the pig onto the side with the aluminum foil, and cover the other side with foil. }); wrapper.className = '_form-inner'; Philippines return el.name == 'email' || el.getAttribute('required') !== null; } if (!found && elems[i] !== elem) return true; if (html) { elem.className = elem.className + ' _has_error'; } Hash is similar to a Brunswick stew: It’s essentially a pig’s head that’s been boiled and then ground down into a gravy-like consistency alongside veggies and spices. var resize_tooltips = function() { var resize_tooltip = function(tooltip) { if (elem.options[i].selected) { if (!value.match(/^[\+_a-z0-9-'&=]+(\.[\+_a-z0-9-']+)*@[a-z0-9-]+(\.[a-z0-9-]+)*(\. If not, a commodity hog can usually be found from a local butcher for around $2/pound, with prices varying depending on where you live. no_error = false; One of the traditional Hawaiian dishes that you may come across in Hawaii is Kalua pork (or Kalua pig). The pit that you cook the pig in is called the imu, and the meat that it prepares — noted for its soft, moist consistency — is called kalua pork. validate_field(this, true); e.preventDefault(); After removing all the wood and charcoal that had formed, all that was left was the pile of rocks, which by this time were white hot, and almost looked like a mini volcano. }; for (var i = 0; i < elem.options.length; i++) { Better yet, the process itself is a great way to bond with friends. no_error = false; for (var i = 0; i < tooltips.length; i++) { Read it at least once more, and then get to work.